Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 14 month old, persistent nipple pain

Default 14 month old, persistent nipple pain

so, we've been lucky enough to have very few problems over the past 14 months, but for the last month or so DS's latch really hurts. i thought it was teething at first, adjusting to a new mouth, etc, but he STILL hasn't broken any teeth through since 9 months. he's got 4 top and 2 bottom, i think working on molars and canines but seriously it's been FOREVER. i was sure they'd come through end of june. anyway, the latch hurts more at night, sometimes because he's latched on so long, but increasingly on shorter nursings during the day too. seems similarly painful on both sides. it looks good visually, and my nipples aren't really creased or anything afterward, though today it almost looked like i had some broken blood vessels - so tiny i'm not sure though. it's getting to the point where i'm starting to avoid nursing during the day and dreading night time - it even made me wonder whether i was pregnant (negative test this morning). other perhaps relevant info: he's super active, no words yet, we just moved cross-country, and i've just started working regular hours away from home.

help? tia!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Default Re: 14 month old, persistent nipple pain

Is he nursing more than he was before due to you working outside the home now?

Do you think that pregnancy test could have been a dud? Maybe take another one tomorrow? Has your period come back?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

he's definitely off and on nursing more at night than, say, at 12 months. i attributed this to teething, mostly, and the move which has been amazingly smooth but is always stressful to have so many changes in the routine. i really only started being away from him more the last week, so the pain definitely pre-dates that. no period, but that's as expected for me on mirena & seasonique. in another thread i posted last night i mentioned that the way i ended iud/started pills actually left an inadvertent window for pregnancy, which is why i took the test, but i'm thinking about ditching the birth control - going to TTC very soon anyway - and someone on that post just suggested that she had a lot of nipple pain & nausea for 3 weeks when starting bcp hormones, which could definitely be it for me. or, maybe the test was a dud! it was a two-pack; i'll give it a week and test again.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I actually had a mild case of thrush when Joe was about this age, that caused pain for a really long time (because I couldn't figure out what was causing it). My nipples were bright pink, though, which should have been a clue. Just putting it out there in case you hadn't considered it as a possibility. It's less common with older babies, but it can happen. Especially if you've taken antibiotics (or your LO has) but that's not necessary - I hadn't taken anything, and I still got it, but I am prone to yeast infections generally, so maybe it's my chemistry.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

that actually did cross my mind, because i had a REALLY persistent case of ringworm in my armpits, and i kept wondering if it's the same fungus that causes thrush, and if i was at risk of it spreading/jumping. but no symptoms other than the painful latch, and no abx. worth keeping an eye on though.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

update: it was definitely the seasonique. i stopped last friday (8 days ago) and the symptoms pretty much went away within 2 days, no nipple pain now (which is a good thing cuz DS and i had a nasty cough/cold all week and he nursed CONSTANTLY and we were pretty miserable as it was). i don't know if the symptoms would have resolved/evened out shortly if i'd stayed on bcp. but i also haven't gotten a period yet, being off them for a week, so maybe AF really isn't returned yet.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13