Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just got my period??

Default Just got my period??

I've been exclusively breastfeeding my son for 7 months. He's been a bit fussy lately (I'm assuming it's teething) but he's not been wanting to nurse as much or as easily as he normally does. He eventually takes it and then all is fine.

But I just noticed my I've spotted a bit.

Is this because there were a couple of days that he didn't nurse much during the day? I still pumped though. Or is it just time for my period to arrive?

I guess I'm worrying a bit that my milk supply is dwindling thus causing my period to start.

Thanks!

Default Re: Just got my period??

I just got my first period, and my son is 9.5 months. There was about a week where he was sleeping a good 8 hour block at night, and I suspect that allowed my period to come back. So, if your son is nursing significantly less, that could be it (although if you've been pumping every few hours, I would think that should keep your period away, so I don't know). Anyway, it isn't that your milk supply is dwindling CAUSING your period to start--if anything, it's the other way around: your period starting may cause your milk supply to temporarily decrease. A lot of women notice a drop in milk supply just before and during their period each month. As long as you continue to nurse on demand, though, it should come back up once your period is over. Hope this helps! There is a lot of variability as to when women get their period back while breastfeeding. Early is just as normal as late, though I understand wishing it would stay gone awhile longer! I was a bit surprised to get it back at 9 months, but oh well.

Also, him not wanting to nurse could possibly be related to your milk tasting different just before and during your period. Some babies notice this and object, some don't. Either way that could explain the reluctance to nurse and the fussiness. Or it could be teething or something else.

with the pp. It's probably just time for your period to return. The temporary supply dip and change in taste are normal and most babes get used to it with nothing more than a bit of extra fussing once a month, if that. If you pump you might notice a slight drop in output as well. It usually bounces right back with no problems.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I don't think it's anything you did or didnt do, it was probably just time. I got mine back at 13 weeks with my first, after bleading for 10 weeks pp. After my second AF returned at 8 weeks despite nursing on demand, not using bottles etc. it just happens.

And this.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joshuas.mommy View Post
    Anyway, it isn't that your milk supply is dwindling CAUSING your period to start--if anything, it's the other way around: your period starting may cause your milk supply to temporarily decrease. A lot of women notice a drop in milk supply just before and during their period each month. As long as you continue to nurse on demand, though, it should come back up once your period is over. Hope this helps! There is a lot of variability as to when women get their period back while breastfeeding. Early is just as normal as late, though I understand wishing it would stay gone awhile longer! I was a bit surprised to get it back at 9 months
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

I'm jealous. I WANT mine because I want to get pregnant again. My DD is 9.5 months and has been STTN consistently for several weeks and off and on for months!

I guess we're all different!

If you worry about a supply dip during your period you may try a calcium/magnesium supplement to help.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    If you worry about a supply dip during your period you may try a calcium/magnesium supplement to help.
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Have you done it? Did it work?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Well thank you all for the info. I really thought that if you only nursed and nursed regularly you would not get your period. Just when I thought we had worked out all the kinks now I have to deal with monthly dips in my supply and different tasting milk?? If I had it my way I would introduce formula however, he doesn't like the taste of formula nor does he like bottles. I guess this is a good problem to have but sometimes I just want my boobs back!!!!

Don't worry- the monthly supply dip and different tasting milk doesn't happen for all moms, and is not a big deal for most of those who do experience it.

I totally get wanting to have your breasts back, but just remind yourself that this phase of intense demand is very temporary.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"