Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I thought the first one was tough!

Default I thought the first one was tough!

My little one and I just can't seem to catch a break. First she was sleepy and wasn't eating. Then she was screaming all the time and we discovered she had reflux. Then I had mastitis. After that she still wasn't gaining well in spite of spending hours at the breast. We saw a lactation consultant and the told me she has a weak suck causing a poor latch and low transfer of milk. I have been compensating that by giving her an expressed ounce before she nurses. Now today I found out that all the pain I have been experiencing in the last week is probably thrush. Seriously, What next? Sorry, feeling a little defeated and the need to vent.

Default Re: I thought the first one was tough!

Sorry you are having so many issues. All I can say is that I have never once met a mom who regretted working through her early breastfeeding issues so she could nurse her baby. Never. And I have met many moms who had really incredible barriers.

I am not sure this helps, but the mastitis may well have been due at least in part to the poor suck/not eating frequently enough. I suppose you were treated with anti-biotics, which increases the risk of thrush. So, these many different issues could all stem from the same base problem-baby's inability to nurse efficiently. And it is important that that underlying issue be addressed and solved, or the issues could all come around again. And once that issue is solved, you can stop pumping and supplementing which is extra work and probably compounding your exhaustion.

how old is baby? how often does baby nurse-how many times in a 24 hour day? is weight gain back on track? is baby nursing more efficiently now? if not, what suggestions have you been given to increase nursing efficiency and what have you tried? is there a plan in place for when and how to wean off supplements?

Since the immediate isssue is thrush, here are some suggestions-

thrush is way overdiagnosed. It is also very hard to diagnose. Yes anti-biotics increase the risk but by no means do they always lead to a yeast overgrowth that becomes painful thrush. Many other things can cause pain in the nipples and it may help if those are ruled out.
    thrush is treatable. But there are many different protocols/methods of treatment, some very effective, others, not so much. If you are still working with the IBCLC, she should have the book Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple. This is a huge, up to date breastfeeding text with an excellent section on causes of nipple pain, thrush, and thrush treatment. Maybe your lc can copy those pages for you or go over the info in there with you.

And here is a thush protocol from Jack Newman just fyi. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

I just had my third child and in the first two weeks had the joy of experiencing massive engorgement, and, for the first time for me, plugged ducts (one so big i named it Moby plug) and mastitis. So issues can crop up with any number baby. I just kept reminding myself that this too shall pass!

The baby will be 8 weeks on Monday. The poor suck was addressed with the pediatrician and the lc. Both suggested we try occupational therapy to strengthen her muscles. I am looking into it but I went back to work this week.

It was also suggested that she might have a slight tounge tie but it was not suggested what I should do about it.

The baby eats 8 times a day but because of work I am only getting to feed her 3-4 of those times and pumping in between.

The pumping and feeding all of it hurts like crazy right now, but the baby seems happier now that she is getting a consistent amount from a bottle at school and a little extra before she nurses.

I am not giving up, but I am just saying sometimes it is really hard.

Well I am sorry you are not getting more proactive help. I get you are busy but unfortunately moms often have to advocate for themselves and thier babies. It's not a mater of giving up or not giving up. How can anyone expect you to keep going when it is excrutiatingly painful to nurse AND to pump? That is why it is important to figure out what is going on and get helpful help. The most determined & knowledgable moms in the world still need effective and supportive help sometimes. I had to see an IBCLC with this last baby to get help, after nursing 2 kids and being a Leader for 4 years.

If your baby has tongue tie, that presents a physical barrier to effective nursing. Tongue tie can cause both extreme pain to mom and ineffective milk removal. The treatment is to have the frenulum clipped. It's a simple procedure that requiers only topical anesthesia if any. But you have to find a practitioner who understands that this is a breastfeeding issue and will do the procedure now rather than later. For a good discussion of tongue tie, see the latest edition of the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition 2010)

What kind of a pump are you using? Is it new? For the amount of pumping you are doing, and esp. since you have supply concerns, the best pump would be a hosp. grade rented pump. Second choice would be a double sided electric personal use pump. Also be aware that older personal use pumps can malfunction and cause pain and/or ineffective milk removal. It is usually not obvious to the user something is wrong.

pumping could hurt most commonly because 1) Your nipples are so damaged everything hurts 2) your pump is not working correctly or the breast sheleds aka flanges are an incorect size or 3) thrush

And just FYI, 8 times a day is on the low side for both feeding and pumping. Baby may be getting enough, it depends, but it may not be enough to stimulate your supply as needed. Hand expression may be less painful when pumping & nursing hurts, so it may help to add a little hand expression in if you can. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

Also If baby is getting half or more than half her daily intake via bottle, it is really important that bottle feeding be done in a breastfeeding supportive way. See: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Ugh, I'm just recovering from a bad case of thrush, and all I can say is, I know this is my second baby (and it's my second case of thrush) but that &#$% HUUUUURRRRRTTTS. Wow! So painful!

I followed this protocol, however, and got relief of the severe pain within a day, and significant improvement within a few days. A week later, I'm pretty much cured. Check it out - http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

Having just gone through it, I have to say, thrush made everything seem awful. I thought my latch sucked, I thought I hated breastfeeding, I thought it would never be better. But then it was, and all of a sudden, everything was do-able again. But lord, it's painful. So first things first, start treating that thrush!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.