Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I try dom? Anything else to try first?

Default Should I try dom? Anything else to try first?

We've had supply issues from the beginning - planned hmebirth turned csection after 36 hours of awful labor, lots of blood loss. She is now 2.5 months and we are giving 8 oz of donor milk via Lact-aid daily, and she is gaining between .5 to .7 oz a day on that.

We have tried:
    -power pumping and pumping 6+ times a day with Medela Symphony (very hard for me to pump bc she wants to be on me all day - she naps on me as well) I also get miniscule amounts with the pump, so I basically hav given up in the last few weeks.
    - goats rue, fenugreek, blessed thistle, nettle, brewers yeast, alalfa, marshmallow, More Milk Plus
    - shatavari
    - oatmeal
    - iron supplements
    - chlorophyll
    - daily naps
    - talking to 5(!) different LCs

She has a great latch, no tongue tie, and I did have some breast changes in pregnancy. I do breast compressions at each feeding. My prolactin was 190 45 min after nursing at a week potpartum, which I think is normal. Thyroid aso normal.

I feel like the only thing left to try is dom, which I was resistant to initially. Is it likely to work when prolactin is normal? I was hoping shatavari would work some magic and I could skip the dom. Any idea when it works and when it doesn't? Is there anything else I could be doing?

Excuse the typos - one handed on ipad..

Default Re: Should I try dom? Anything else to try first?

I don't have an answer for you but your experience almost sounds like a carbon copy of mine. My heart goes out to you because I know how hard you are working & how frustrating it feels. I ended up on Dom & am just now weaning from the Dom as I continue to nurse my 22 month old. I think the Dom worked as my supply dropped when I tried to get off it before but the drop wasn't huge so could have increased for other reasons. I sometimes worry about having taken Dom for so long (1.5 years) but then I think about the risks of formula. It's a tough choice that only you can make.

Hugs to you. Your baby is lucky to have such a dedicated mom! Feel free to PM me if you need anything. Best of luck.