Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby won't nurse, just opens mouth wide and screams

Default Baby won't nurse, just opens mouth wide and screams

Please help if you can. My DD is 3 months, has been an absolute angel the past month after some up and downs. A few days ago she stopped her normal napping (at least one long nap about 3 hrs. and the rest being an hour or so) and will only sleep a short time and then wake up. At least once a day when I am going to nurse her, she just opens her mouth wide and won't latch on, just screams and cries and then acts like she's choking.
    I am just at a loss as to what might be the problem!
    married to Ben 05/01/2004
    mama to 3 blessings:
    Ezra 03/01/2006
    Olivia 11/07/2008
    Eden 05/02/2012

Default Re: Baby won't nurse, just opens mouth wide and screams

Or an ear infection or some other sickness? When there's an abrupt behavior change, sometimes a trip to the doctor is a good idea.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, she napped well today, and I thought it was past, but now I have been trying to feed her for 2 hours and all she does is cry. I don't think it is reflux, and she doesn't have a fever...she was mostly happy today until the past two hours. What do I do if she just keeps refusing to nurse?
    mama to 3 blessings:
    Ezra 03/01/2006
    Olivia 11/07/2008
    Eden 05/02/2012

How long is she refusing to nurse for? Is this just an incident that occurs during a specific time-period during the day? How is her output?

If agree with PP, follow your instincts and if you feel she needs to be seen by a dr then absolutely do so.

Hope you get some answers soon!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

This link may be helpful, if baby is brewing up a nursing strike: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

@inkedstar: Yes, it seems to happen in late afternoon-evening. Yesterday, after about 3 hrs (during which she slept for about 45 min), I was able to nurse her when she was waking up. Her output is good. Lots of wet diapers. But she hadn't pooped in a couple days. Finally this morning she had a really nice size bowel movement. Could that be partly to blame? Not nursing b/c she wants/needs to poop? Also wondering if teething could have something to do with it. She has been biting me when she doesn't want to nurse. OW!
    @mommal: Thanks for the helpful info. I am pretty sure it isn't a nursing strike b/c this seems to just happen once a day?

Another question: how many times should a 3 mo baby be fed in 24 hrs? She is actually over 3 months now, and on a normal day it will be 6 times. She is a good weight, about 14 lbs, I think.

Thanks!
    mama to 3 blessings:
    Ezra 03/01/2006
    Olivia 11/07/2008
    Eden 05/02/2012

Nursing 6 times a 24 hour day is a pretty low frequency for nursing. A baby this age needs between 25-35 ounces of breastmilk a day (some sources say between 20-30) So if baby is ony nursing 6 tiems a day, baby would need to take in 4-5 ounces per session every session-quite alot. Even if baby has been gaining well up to now, this low a nursing frequency could possibly negatively affect weight gain and/or milk production going forward.

If baby is only cuing 6 times a day, I would suggest offering to nurse more often and see what happens. If baby is cuing more often, I suggest try nursing on cue.