Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colic & Extreme Gas - So Depressed :(

Default Colic & Extreme Gas - So Depressed :(

This morning my LO screamed for 4 hour straight I could tell he was super uncomfortable from gas (as he has been for several weeks) but he's never quite cried like this and for as long as he did. I called my ped and they said the doctor was out for the day and since I had just started him on a new medication today, it would be best to take him to the emergency room. No fever, etc. Just screaming.*

Fast forward, they did an xray of his abdomen and it was literally FULL of gas! No wonder the poor thing is always in pain and SO uncomfortable I feel terrible.*

I'm EBF and the pedi there suggested I try a soy formula for a week to see if it helps. I am totally devastated and I would feel so guilty if I switched to formula but I just hate seeing him in so much pain *

I really don't know what to do. I'm just exhausted and sad. We've done gas drops, colic calm, gripe water, I've eliminated all soy/dairy - I'm literally eating plain oatmeal with a little almond milk, green/yellow squash, and chicken breast-, I've had his tongue tie snipped, Zantac, chiropractor session, constant tummy massages, bicycling legs, probiotics, and now this new medication.*

I guess I just need to vent. I feel so defeated. All I've ever wanted to do was breastfeed for the first year and I'm just so depressed. I know he needs all the antibodies but I also know a lot of FF babies do just fine. ugh.*

He comfort nurses just as much as he eats (won't go to sleep without my nipple in hid mouth lol whole other problem in and of itself ) so by not breastfeeding I know he'd be upset by not being to at comfort suck and he won't take a pacifier which I never had intended on giving him anyway.

Default Re: Colic & Extreme Gas - So Depressed :(

Forgot to add, I'm going to try the medication Levsin for a week to see if it helps. If not, do you think I should just keep BFing and not even try formula (although, if I did I'd continue pumping every 2-3 hours) and just let his digestive system mature (supposedly by 3-4 months when the "colic - ie: digestive issues" work themselves out?

By the way he's 9 weeks old today -7.6 lb @ birth, 12.10 lb as of Tuesday -yellow mustard seedy soil
    Last edited by @llli*lovefitness84; August 16th, 2012 at 04:12 PM.

What evidence is there that SOY would cause less gas than your milk?

gas is always often seen in x-rays, even when it is not being looked for. gas is a normal byproduct of digestion.

maybe your baby is having difficulty eliminating gas, and that is causing pain. I get it that you are frustrated and concerned about your baby. but i just don't understand the medical purpose of giving a baby something besides the ONlY food that is tailor made for baby.

have you eliminated forceful letdown as a possibility?

The only one that is really forceful is the first one of the feed if he hasn't eaten off of it for 2-3 hours. I try to pull him off when I feel the letdown coming and express some, enough to where it's not spraying out on it's own anyway. I had a lac consultant come to my house about a week and a half ago but unfortunately she didn't really get to witness the full on letdown. He had been nursing quite a bit already that morning right before she came so couldn't get her opinion. She's the one that pointed out his slight tongue tie and said it had been linked to "colic" from an improper latch and taking in too much air. But she said his latch was perfectly fine but said it was worth a shot. So far hasn't made a difference. The ENT said it didn't need to be done but I could as a preventative for any speech problems later on.

I totally get what you're saying about breastmilk obviously being made for that exact purpose, to feed your child... And I also know that all newborns have a lot of gas, but he most definitely has more than most

I've tried amd continue to try all methods to help eliminate gas... He'll expel some during tummy massages/bicycles etc but even after 30 plus min of doing it and getting out what I'd consider a LOT he'll still continue grunting amd straining and crying trying to pass more. I bought some Windi's and they do get quite a bit of the gas but he's still super uncomfortable

There is no way that formula of any kind would help, not to mention the fact that he'd inevitably swallow more air from a bottle.

All I can say is to hang in there, and keep doing what you're doing to help him relieve gas. Remember, it will get better.

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"

I don't think you need a lactation consultant to diagnose forceful letdown. I suggest you read the article on Kelly mom.com about forceful letdown and see if some of the symptoms fit . In any case there is no harm in trying most of the remedies she suggests the only thing I would avoid is block Feeding.
    About a year ago a mom came to a meeting. the baby had experienced difficult digestive system symptoms. She had started bottlefeeding formula and had pumped her own milk to donate to others. several months down the road she wanted to nurse again which of course at that point was a very uphill battle listening to her story I suspected the issue had been forceful letdown which would explain why bottles seemed to help at first -possibly complicated by a dairy allergy. But her baby had continued to have some issues and she missed breast-feeding. I found it particularly sad that she had become convinced that something was wrong with her breast milk and yet of course other mothers who did not make enough milk gratefully accepted her donation.
    Have you been able to get in touch with other local breast-feeding moms through LLL or other breast-feeding support organizations it may help you to be around other moms who are also dealing with the many issues that can come up in the early months with any baby.

I suggest mylicon drops and a GI. I had a pedi tell me to go to formula when my son was acting like your baby. I refused there was no way I was going to stop BF. I went to a GI and he was very helpful. He suggested I cut out nuts (almond milk for you) soy, milk and egg. My baby was a completely new baby in 4 days! What is your LOs poop like? Green or mucusy at all?
    Mommy of LJ March 2008 and Ian Aug 2010

His poop is the normal mustard seedy color NORMALLY. However, since I've started giving him colic calm to help his tummy when hes super uncomfortable from the gas, it then is almost like a dark green color and it does look slightly mucousy.

I've been dairy/soy free for a while and haven't noticed a difference - eggs included, I do have a little almond milk in my oatmeal though. I really am starting to doubt it's anything that I'm eating I wish it was because it would be an easy fix. I'm going to stick with it though anyway juuuuust in case

I'm wondering if pumping and bottle feeding him would help? Of he is taking in too much air during letdowns and just in general. If I DO have an OALD (which there are def some of the symptoms) and moderate oversupply do you still express some out PRIOR to starting to fill the bottle so he's not getting so much foremilk?

It's just frustrating not know exactly what is causing it and nothing I'm trying and have been trying since he was literally just a week old, have worked. Something is causing his extreme gas and discomfort. So sick of all the doctors putting it off to colic, it's such a copout in my opinion. He is obviously in pain and discomfort an it's from gas, nothing else.

I don't have any advice for over active let down. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that issue. I did have OALD what I did was let some spray out into a towel and then press and hold it there a moment until it subsided before putting my LO back on. Idk if that's what your suppose to do but that's what worked for me.

I wld suggest removing egg. and seeing a GI still.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Big hugs! I was not satifyed with people and the Dr's telling me it was colic either. His back arched in pain. I knew he was in pain. It wasn't until my LO was 7 wks old that I started to see blood in his stool which was green and kinda mucusy. That I researched myself and found out was food allergy related. 7 wks of screaming and crying. I know it is very Frustrating and pains you to see your LO this way.

I hope you figure it all out soon and you and your LO get some relief.
    Mommy of LJ March 2008 and Ian Aug 2010