Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 23 months - Time to pump wean?

Default 23 months - Time to pump wean?

Hello ladies!

My son will be 23 months next week. I am currently still pumping at work 2x a day and usually produce about 7-8 oz all-together. I send this in with him at preschool along with another 7-8 oz cup of water. He nurses about 3/4x during the day - after work, before bed, 1/2x at night. He drinks more water here and there also when home with me.

Is anyone else still pumping twice a day this late in the game? Should I stop? I kind of feel like my milk is "medicine" during the day when he is at preschool and worried about taking it away. He eats well, will drink cow's milk and have a nicely varied diet so . . . any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: 23 months - Time to pump wean?

Weaning from the breast or pump is so personal! There's no one right time to do it. If you are okay with pumping, feel free to keep on. Because the milk really is like medicine for a toddler in daycare.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

7-8oz is still a good amount and if you don't mind continuing pumping there are certainly benefits for both you and your child. When you've had enough and really are ready to stop then go ahead.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Mine is 23 months also. Just this week she has lost interest in the pumped milk, so I am going to pump wean now.
    She still very much enjoys her regular breastfeeding, however, and I don't see that ending anytime soon.

She does not however leave our home for daycare for preschool. Her aunt comes to our home to care for her when I am working.

If she was in daycare or school, I would keep the pumped milk flowing if she was willing to take it. For health and comfort reasons.

My answer to others is and always has been.... "There is no good reason to stop, so I will keep going as long as she does..."
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Thank you, ladies! I don't actually feel quite ready to stop the sessions. He has a cold right now and nasty fall/winter colds are just around the corner. I guess I'll just keep going then!