Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I NEED to pump wean?

Question Do I NEED to pump wean?

My LO will be two next month, and I have been pumping to give her expressed milk during the day when I am at work since she was four months old.

She has just recently lost interest in expressed breastmilk, so I am going to stop pumping.

In past few months I have been pumping twice a day while at work, and producing a total of 3-4 ounces.

Given the small amount I've been expressing, do you guys think I need to actually pump wean?
    Can I just stop? Am I creating a health risk.

My LO still loves to breastfeed a lot, including within the first few minutes I come home to her.

I love her....
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Default Re: Do I NEED to pump wean?

You only need to slowly wean off the pump if you feel uncomfortable or engorged. It sounds like you may be able to just stop pumping.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Actually, continuing to produce milk is great for your health! The longer you lactate, the more calories you burn (decreasing your chances of becoming obese), and the more protective effect there is against heart disease and breast cancer. If your LO isn,t interested in your pumped milk, plenty of other babies might be. Check out https://www.hmbana.org/ and think about donating!

If you're going to stop, just be a bit cautious about the speed with which you drop your pump sessions. Since you're producing a relatively small amount of milk, you might be able to just stop pumping with no I'll effects. But you also might get engorged or end up with a plugged duct, so it makes sense to have your pump available during the workday, just in case you need to take the edge off of an overfull situation!

ETA: I re-read your post and it seems that I may have misinterpreted yor question. I thought you were asking if continuing to pump is in any way a health risk? Sorry if I was being dim.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mommal - You read my question correctly - I was just wondering if a stop pumping - without weaning myself - would pose a health risk.
    You do bring up a couple of valid points however - I DO love burning those extra calories AND I should just go ahead and pump once a day and donate.
    Every drop counts, right?
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

You may find that you produce almost the same amount of milk with one pumping session as with two - at least for the immediate future (eventually, the quantity will likely decline). If you don't mind pumping, one session a day is pretty doable.

I agree with Mommal that while you may be able to just stop pumping, you should keep a pump (at least a hand pump) at work for a couple of weeks at least just in case you get engorged or start to feel a clogged duct.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.