Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One thing after another....

Default One thing after another....

Hi ladies! Where to begin. This is my second LO. She is 7 weeks old. For the last couple of days we've been struggling with supply and getting fussy at the breast. I BF my son who is almost for for
    15 months with no real issues. He never had formula. I am struggling with fear that I am having supPly issues. Her diaper output is good and her weight seems to be fine although I'm
    Not sure how much she has gained since her last appointment. I always always offer her the breast first. In the mornings when we wake and during the night feedings she seems to take the breast just fine. It's the afternoons that my breasts feel so employ and she gets very impatient waiting for let down to occur. So, I've offered a couple of bottles of thawed breastmilk but I noticed a funny odor to it. She took it this afternoon but wouldn't take it tonight. She would just cricked up her face. So now she won't take my breast or thawed milk. Talk about double whammy. I read aboUt lipase and scalding the milk but doing that looses some nutritional value in the milk....not real sure what to do. Is all my milk bad now? She seems to take it fine from my breast when she's not being impatient but not when it's thawed??? I'm confused. I haven't been able to get ahold of a LLL leader all day. I've emailed and left a message
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Default Re: One thing after another....

hi again. just keep her at the breast when she is fussy if you can.

or go for a walk, wear her in a carrier etc.

breasts are going to feel empty esp evenings but they always have milk. try to tell yourself that. plus fussy evenings are very common for babies.

this is a good link too:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/chil...while-nursing/

and for the lipase issue i would scald from now on for your freezer supply, but as for the off milk you can mix it with fresh instead of tossing it.

Thank you

We love and

Have you tried hand expressing for let-down to occur, then getting her to latch, so she doesn't have to wait?

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"

Good diaper output plus adequate weight gain mean that baby is getting enough to eat. At 7 weeks, you are in the peak "fussy evenings" stage. People call it "evenings-only colic" and "the witching hour(s)"- it's a developmental stage unrelated to milk supply. I always thought it was a product of a baby being too tired to eat and too hungry to sleep, and just needing a lot of help to cope with a sensory system that's really overloaded by a long day. So the key is to try to change the incoming stimuli, make them both really different and really soothing. Here are some tricks that often work:
    - nurse nurse nurse nurse nurse (if baby is willing)
    - soothe with motion- rock in a rocker, swing in a swing, stroller ride, etc.
    - keep a calm house- lights, tv, and stereo down or off
    - give baby a warm bath
    - go outside
    - wear baby in a sling
    - use white noise- radio static, vacuum cleaner, dryer noise, etc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmom13 View Post
    Have you tried hand expressing for let-down to occur, then getting her to latch, so she doesn't have to wait?
    This is a great idea. I've never been good at hand expressing would pumping work?

We love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chi829 View Post
    This is a great idea. I've never been good at hand expressing would pumping work?
    If pumping works for you then give it a try! I also really like all of mommal's suggestions.

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"