Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 Week Without Breastfeeding - Need Help Planning

Question 1 Week Without Breastfeeding - Need Help Planning

So in July 2011, I found out I had colon cancer. I had surgery to remove part of my colon and did not need chemo treatment. (yay!) However, for preventive care, I have to get a colonoscopy and c-scan yearly.

I was given the all clear to get pregnant and had my son in June 2012.

Due to my newborn, my oncologist ok'd postponing my colonoscopy and c-scan until October of this year. She would not allow postponing it any further. I saw her this week and asked how long until the iodine from the c-scan would be out of my system, for breastfeeding.

She said I will not be able to breast feed for one full week.

My son will be four months by that time.

I am devastated, and am trying to plan ahead for this.

I am pumping to save milk for the week I'll be unable to nurse, however, my fears are:

-Will he want to nurse after the week is up

-How can I / Should I prepare him for this week of no nursing in advance?

...I will be going back to work in September, my Mom will be caring for him during the day. He is used to a bottle, so that isn't an issue.

But we do nurse to sleep at night /during the night and the thought of "rejecting" his nursing attempts/desires is heartbreaking and I want to know how do I handle this/approach it with him so as to not impede his desire to nurse after the week is up?

I don't know if I should post this in the 4 month old forum or not?

Thanks in advance, this is terrifying for me!

Default Re: 1 Week Without Breastfeeding - Need Help Planning

I think your doc's advice was overcautious. I would contact the Infant Risk center, which usually has the definitive answer about medications and breastfeeding. Check out this link on breastfeeding and radio contrast agents: http://www.infantrisk.com/content/re...ontrast-agents
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much!!

Definitely call InfantRisk (806) 352-2519 and tell them exactly which contrast agent you'll be given and the dose. There seems to be a huge amount of variation among the different types as to how long it takes to clear: with some contrast agents the mom can resume breastfeeding after just a couple of hours, with a few others breastfeeding needs to be interrupted for weeks or even months (). The folks at InfantRisk will be able to give you much more specific information.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--