Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 week bussiness trip...what should I do

Default 1 week bussiness trip...what should I do

Hello everyone, My name is Andrea and I still breastfeeding my 17 months DD twice a day (7 am and 5pm) and don´t pump since DD was 9 months so I guess very little must be comming out but she is always soooo happy BFing and also knows exactly when it is time to do it.

I will have to do a 1 week bussines trip and i don´t want to dry up. Should I pump during the trip? Will it hurt if I don´t do it? will i dry up if i don´t pump or BF for this week?

Thanks for your advice

Andi G

Default Re: 1 week bussiness trip...what should I do

I would pump. My friend went on a similar trip when her son was around 2.5 years old and she didn't think she would need to pump, but she got really engorged after a day or so.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

agree w/ PP. Pump so that your supply stays stimulated.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Pump. Even if you wanted to wean during this trip, you would want to bring your pump, just in case you had to deal with engorgement or a plugged duct or mastitis or something. If your trip is overseas, make sure you have the proper adapter for the electrical outlet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Pump. If you don't, you may lose so much supply that your LO will end up weaning because there isn't any milk left. If that was what you wanted that would be one thing, but it's quite another to end up weaning by accident when you didn't intend to!

Yes, I also recommend pumping. A friend of mine went on a weeklong trip & was shocked at the engorgement she experienced at 2 yr. she had a previous weeklong trip without engorgement so you never know, but she said she wished she had her pump for comfort. On her trips she didn't pump & came home to BF just fine, but she has always had a big supply (almost oversupply). I would hate for the trip to cause a weaning if you didn't intend for one. Pump as you feel comfortable.

I nurse my 16 month old twins once a day (am). Last weekend went away with DH for 2 nights (missed 2 am feedings). I was engorged on the 2nd day (I was leaking, which I haven't done in months and months). I didn't bring a pump. For a week I would defnitely bring a pump, or hand express.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Thanks you Ladies. I definately want to keep the supply so I will pump

Don't forget to check the TSA rules about transporting breastmilk via airplane also.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on