Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 Month Check-Up...

Default 4 Month Check-Up...

...and the doctor FINALLY stopped pushing formula
    Previously he would suggest that we add in formula to his evening bottles (when I'm at work) because "formula has more calories and fat than breastmilk." Then 2 weeks ago he suggested adding in rice cereal at night

We did neither.

I followed your advice, just offering him num-nums more often.

He's on his own growth curve. I'm glad the doc finally sees that! He's gaining weight (over 600 g in the past 2 weeks which the doc was really happy with) (12.6 lb), he's growing in length (24 in), his head's growing (16.9 in), he's bright-eyed and meeting all his milestones and he's quite the little charmer

He still suggested rice cereal to "help him learn how to swallow"...but eh. We have 2 more months before we even start to think about playing with solids

I just wanted to share, because after being so concerned for so long it's nice to feel like...I'm enough. KWIM?
    And y'all have been so so so so SO helpful. You have given the best advice and been so supportive. BIG Thank You
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Default Re: 4 Month Check-Up...

Good going Momma! What a wonderful update.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Your pediatrician is a real stitch! I wonder how your child has managed to get breastmilk into his tummy without knowing how to swallow.

You're doing a great job. Brace yourself for the next visit- around 4-6 months many babies start to drop percentiles as they devote increasing amounts of calories to motion (reaching, rolling, pre-crawling) instead of packing them on as fat. Often docs make a stink about babies "falling off their curve" and increase the push for formula.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yay! Also, your avatar pic cracks me up everytime.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

@amysmom, Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Your pediatrician is a real stitch! I wonder how your child has managed to get breastmilk into his tummy without knowing how to swallow.

You're doing a great job. Brace yourself for the next visit- around 4-6 months many babies start to drop percentiles as they devote increasing amounts of calories to motion (reaching, rolling, pre-crawling) instead of packing them on as fat. Often docs make a stink about babies "falling off their curve" and increase the push for formula.
    hah Yeah, he's nice and all (also, not a pediatrician), but it just fascinates me the way that he mixes opinion and wives' tales with facts and research. He preached about the new AAP guidelines for rear-facing car seats until 2 and yet still suggests solids before 6 months. When he said that, that it would help DS learn how to swallow, I just responded with a surprised, "Really?!?" because I was thinking, "You really believe that?"

I'll definitely just keep offering num-nums as often as possible to help him pack on what he can, and as soon as he hits 6 months we'll throw avocados on his plate

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rakoonz View Post
    Yay! Also, your avatar pic cracks me up everytime.
    Thanks, and thanks
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]