Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 'Milk neck' or yeast infection?

Default 'Milk neck' or yeast infection?

Dear Mamas, please help! DD is 5.5 months old and is EBF since birth. Her neck is reddish almost like it's bleeding or about to and has some whitish stuff which initially i thought was milk (we co sleep and do side lying position a lot) residue from her dreamfeeds. I tried to wipe it with a damp cotton ball. Couldnt really do much cleaning as she starts to cry/fuss when I even just slightly touch that area... Today, we tried to put baby powder but it just turned the powder into a chalk like texture and most of her neck still wet. DD is 8kgs last time we checked so she is a bit on the chubby side so that part of her neck doesnt see the light of day.

Is this normal or is this a yeast infection? I was thinking of applying nappy rash cream or should I use other ointments? Vaseline maybe or should I just continue with the powder? We bathe her daily in the morning or afternoon but by evening time her neck is really red... how can I know if it's a yeast infection?

Default Re: 'Milk neck' or yeast infection?

One of my daughters had so many neck wrinkles when she was small and if we weren't diligent about cleaning them everyday they could get a little red. It could also be sweat. I would think keeping the area clean (but not bathing too frequently), and maybe a little powder to absorb perspiration, and she should be fine.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I don't think yeast is involved - my DD gets all kind of stuff in her neck rolls throughout the day (milk, drool, fuzz from clothing, cat hair (!!), etc...). I keep it clean using water. If soap is necessary I use something gentle like Cetaphil. Then I apply an ointment like Aquaphor or something. This seems to do the trick. Definately avoid over-washing as I think trying out the area will make it worse. Keep it clean and moist. If it's really really red it might be more like an eczema-type thing, which tends to occur in creases/folds of skin. If so, you could ask the ped about using a little hydro-cortisone or something if you think it might be itching her.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

My DD3 had this and we cleaned and dried it once a day, and put diaper rash cream on it (we used Aveeno). It cleared up pretty quickly.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

my eldest got a terrible neck rash from drool. We did as above poster Molly did and also changed wet drooled on clothes frequently.

NO baby powder. its a skin and lung irritant.

I agree my daughter also has rolls everywhere and her neck will appear red and sometimes have a odor to it. I apply diaper rash cream...we use Desitin cream and it seemed to absorb the extra moisture. For the most part however when we give her a bath every other day I make sure all creases are fully dry before putting clothes on her. Any water that gets trapped in there will cause moisture to build up.

Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions. I am so relieved to know she is not the only one who has this...

I only bathe lil'Miss about every 3 days. If I notice a neck rash, I wipe her down with a soft, clean, damp cloth (no cleansers) and make sure to keep it dry (I've also used a baby wipe in a pinch). I purposely never put anything on it because it just seems to irritate it.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I should mention - I usually only bathe my babies 1-2 times per week or as needed if they are particularly spitty/drooly. I think frequent baths are too drying to baby's skin. You can clean just the neck area without giving an entire bath.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on