Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still eating every 2 hours at 6 months... any suggestions?

Default Re: Still eating every 2 hours at 6 months... any suggestion

@ mommy2lilah - I usually do end up feeding her at that 10:30 time because she won't take the pacifier. I go to bed around then anyway, so I'm either getting ready for bed or just getting to sleep when she starts so it's not terrible. I just want avoid her waking out of habit, yanno? As for the hubby comment haha I remember the first time we put her to sleep without rocking her. She did great, only cried for maybe 5 minutes and then fell asleep. But around 11:30, we tried to let her "cry it out" and omg did my husband flip out. I had to laugh, because I get up multiple times a night (at that point it was for at least an hour each time) and he got all hot and bothered because he had to "take turns" trying to put her paci back for about 20 minutes. "FEED HER!!!!" he said hahaha. Needless to say, we only did that one night. It seems weird though that she used to sleep from put down until 1 and now she can't make it past 10:30 most nights. Idk if its my presence coming in the room and her "booby senses" (not spidey senses) wake her up, because I'm pretty good at being quiet.

My son slept really well the first few months, then his sleep turned upside down, and he needed us more at night. I think it's just a developmental thing, and if my experience is any indicator, it'll get worse as she becomes more active and meets new milestones. When they're doing all those new things with their bodies, it's normal for them to need to nurse more to fuel it (and for familiarity too I think--lots of things are changing, but Mom/Dad are still here, that kind of thing). For me it was easier to feed him and help him get back to sleep faster (or not quite fully wake up) than to try to wait him out; I think we both ended up more tired that way.

Let me preface my comment by saying that I am not a supporter of crying it out, especially for younger babies.

I am perplexed that you are mentioning that you think that she needs to gain weight and at the same time that you don't want to nurse her when she clearly wants to nurse in the middle of the night. Babies change all the time. They go through growth spurts when they want to nurse more frequently than they did before. They also have developmental changes, which include changes in sleep patterns. Both of my daughters slept for longer stretches before they were about 4 or 5 months old. Waking up 3 to 4 times a night is really normal - and it is normal for them to want to nurse at night. Our culture frowns upon accomodating babies and pressures us into thinking that they should be sleeping through the night for 12 hours in a row at a very early age. That is not realistic. Your baby knows when she wants to eat and you can decide not to feed her, but that doesn't mean that she didn't want to eat. Nursing a baby in the middle of the night at 6 months is not habit forming. My almost 4 year old daughter was nursed in the middle of the night - several times a night, in fact - until she was 2 years old and she doesn't have a nursing habit.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

@ mumtothomas - That is kind of what I've been doing, feeding when I think she might be even the littlest bit hungry so she (and I) can get back to sleep. We all function better during the day with more sleep at night. She is definitely doing a lot of changing - she has been up on her knees and doing push ups, so I think she's prepping to crawl (hopefully not too soon though, because we need to buy baby gates haha)

@ Tracie - I guess everything is sort of connected. My primary goal of posting was to ask about the amount of milk she "should" be taking in per feeding. I was seeing babies Keira's age taking a lot more than she would take from a bottle, and like I said, at 8-10 feedings a day, that would mean (at 4 oz a feeding) approx 32-40 oz on a regular basis (not growth spurting) and she is not gaining weight in a way that would suggest that. So my thinking was that if I could get her to take more than she's taking during the day, she might feel fuller at night and sleep in longer stretches. However, someone posted that it's normal for babies who are BF to take in only 2-4 oz at a time, even at 6 months. If this is the case, and she wakes up hungry, obviously I am going to feed her. I'm not trying to starve my baby! You hear all of these things, from friends, your doctor, these forums that tell you all sorts of things, like "After 4 months, they are just waking out of habit and you should let them cry it out". Well I don't believe that, but if she's consistently waking up at exactly the same moment, no matter what time she goes to bed, there might be a chance that it's a habit. She also needs good sleep almost as much as she needs to eat, so that is also something I want to consider. If she can't increase her intake during the day for whatever reason (maybe because she just can't fit anymore milk in there!) then that's fine and I'll continue on doing the same thing I'm doing and let her lead the way.

Babies have different sleep/REM patterns, and it is normal for them to wake up a lot. At this point I wouldn't worry about what "good sleep" is from your perspective, because it's quite different for her. It's normal for babies to eat at night at that age. It sounds like you want to go with your own instinct, so I say go with it and keep feeding her at night!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    Babies have different sleep/REM patterns, and it is normal for them to wake up a lot. At this point I wouldn't worry about what "good sleep" is from your perspective, because it's quite different for her. It's normal for babies to eat at night at that age. It sounds like you want to go with your own instinct, so I say go with it and keep feeding her at night!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with the PPs. If she seems hungry at night and you're concerned about weight gain, just nurse her. It's inconvenient, but not a bad habit.

You might be interested in this link on how much expressed milk a baby needs: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/. The interesting bit is that babies seem to need only about 19-30 oz total of breastmilk per day, maximum. It's a huge contrast to the amounts you see formula-feeding moms giving their kids!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"