Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Number of Feedings?

Default Number of Feedings?

How many times a day does a 5 month old eat? I will be going back to work and nursing at night, bottles during the day. He sleeps through the night and I don't even know where to start w/ # of bottles while I'm gone- I hope to nurse at least before I leave in the am and then at least 3 times in the pm (I'll be gone 6:45-3/4). So overwhelmed, wish I could stay home with my DS
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

Default Re: Number of Feedings?

the usual recommendation is 1-1.5 oz per hour you are gone, broken down into roughly 3 oz bottles with maybe a topper-offer bottle of an ounce or two. And be forewarned, he may want to nurse more at night when you're away to keep connected with you. Also, try to make sure whomever is taking care of your baby during the day is feeding on demand and using paced bottle feeding. Maybe peruse kellymom, and this: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...d-Storing-Milk
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

What do you mean paced bottle feeding?
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

paced bottle feeding- http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

how much expressed milk will baby need http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

other articles linked above vey helpful. You can also find very good info on pumping and handling separations from baby in the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition, 2010)

It is entirely normal to feel concerned about returning to work. Of course you will miss your baby and are concerned about the challenges this change brings. On the positive side, you are returning to work at a time that (i assume) your milk suply is well established and breastfeeding is going well overall. This is a huge plus for you. I suggest gather the information that will help you, and look for support from others who understand your desire tocontinue to nurse and that your feelings about returning to work, negative or positive, are normal and appropriate.

to answer your initial question, a 5 month old exclusively breastfed baby would normally be nursing somewhere between 8 and 16 times a 24 hour day-in other words, it is all over the map. but cue feeding continues to be appropriate, and milk production continues to be dependant on frequent enough milk removal.

Some moms find it challenging keeping up milk production when back at work. this can be compounded if your baby is regularly sleeping a long stretch at night-more than 5-6 hours say. This is very individual, as milk production varies so much from mom to mom, but, just FYI, many times, working/pumping moms find it helps milk supply if baby nurses somewhat overnight. They also find they & baby are helped by the extra bonding/snuggling time.

If he's sleeping through the night, should I wake him?

He may wake more on his own to reconnect with you. Also, they tend to start sleeping a little more restlessly around 9ish months in my experience. If you're having a hard time pumping what he needs during the day, though, I would probably wake him to nurse at night. You could do it when you go to bed, assuming that is after he has gone to bed - or wake up at 3 am or something and nurse then.

I'm jealous of you sleeping through the night. Sorry you can't stay with your DS.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*davidsmomma View Post
    If he's sleeping through the night, should I wake him?
    you MAY wake baby, if you like, it would not hurt anything. I gave my opinion about long sleep stretches & what they can mean in your other thread in the infant section.