Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recent change in eating pattern- is it normal?

Default Recent change in eating pattern- is it normal?

My 12 week old son has just recently started feeding less times per day for shorter sessions, and sleeping longer at night (yeah) as well as taking longer & fewer naps. He used to feed what felt like constantly, every 1-3 hrs (varied) for 10-14 x per day and fed for as little as 10 min to as long as an hour at a time. Lately, he's been feeding 8-10 x for an average of 25 min per feeding, with an occasional longer feeding (one 50 minute feeding) and several shorter (5-10 min) each day. He still has at least 5-6 wet diapers and a bm every 1-2 days, but this change in eating concerns me. Haven't weighed him recently, but last doc visit weight gain was good (~1 oz per day). Is this normal or should I be concerned that he isn't eating enough? I have felt "fuller" lately, as if he's not eating as much- but this too could be my imagination.... Thanks in advance for your answers.
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.

Default Re: Recent change in eating pattern- is it normal?

Sounds pretty normal to me, babies tend to get more efficient at nursing and wake up a lot around that age. I remember being really surprised when my LO was around 3-4 months, thinking, "oh my gosh what are we supposed to do all day, now? What do I do with him while he's not eating/sleeping/being changed?" Sounds like his output is just fine, so that's a good sign. Your baby probably detected that you were starting to get used to his patterns--once you settle into this routine, your baby will change it up on you again, just to keep you on your toes.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Sounds like your lil' guy is becomming an efficient eater! Watching his output is good and making sure that he nurses the breasts soft (pumping if he isn't emptying them entirely could help you stash milk for when you're back to work).

Yay for more sleep!! Enjoy it while it lasts!!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

Is it ok for him to sleep 9 hrs without eating? Don't get me wrong, I love it, but don't want to hurt him or my supply. Not used to this yet, kinda freaking me out, lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*davidsmomma View Post
    Is it ok for him to sleep 9 hrs without eating? Don't get me wrong, I love it, but don't want to hurt him or my supply. Not used to this yet, kinda freaking me out, lol
    no need to freak out, but i think this is a very good question, and imo fewer moms would find they have supply issues at the 3-6 month mark if they asked themselves this question.

It could be fine for baby to sleep this long, every mom/baby pair is different. but here are things to think about-

Many babies would not sleep anywhere near this long at night at this age. A "through the night' sleep stretch for a baby under a year is between 5-8 hours, and even 5 hours has not been attained by many 3 month olds. So if your baby starts waking more frequentlly that would be entirely normal.
    consider:
    how often is baby nursing the rest of the time?
    is this a once in a while long stretch or every night?
    is baby sleeping this long partially due to use of pacifier overnight?
    is baby sleeping this long partially due to being swaddled?
    Is baby sleeping this long partially due to being topped off with a bottle?
    Does baby sleep in the same room as mom so any nursing cues, even cues in sleep, can be noticed and responded to? Crying is a late sign of hunger and some babies do not wake enough to cry even though they would nurse if mom offered.
    How does mom feel? some fullness in the morning would be normal, but if mom is regularly feeling very full, engorged, or having letdowns overnight, that is possibly a sign baby jumped to a very long sleep stretch a little too quickly. When breastfeeding is established and going well, Mom and baby would typically be more or less in sync, and mom's body gives 'cues' that can be followed as well.

If you are concerned about this long stretch, there is nothing wrong with picking up a sleeping baby and offering to nurse to see what happens. Many babies can and do basically nurse in thier sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*davidsmomma View Post
    I agree that you need to consider all of the questions that meg described above. If my LO did this at that age it was often a fluke. I would wake up after 4-5 hours and be full so then I would dreamfeed baby or wake and feed until I was comfortable. Sleep is great but if you're engorged and your baby is bent on snoozing, it is OK to wake them to feed. It's a breastfeeding relationship which means it needs to work for both of you!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

QUOTE=@llli*lllmeg;1283725]no need to freak out, but i think this is a very good question, and imo fewer moms would find they have supply issues at the 3-6 month mark if they asked themselves this question.

It could be fine for baby to sleep this long, every mom/baby pair is different. but here are things to think
    How often is baby nursing the rest of the time?

Eats 8-12 x depending on the day

is this a once in a while long stretch or every night?

Not sure yet

is baby sleeping this long partially due to use of pacifier overnight?
    is baby sleeping this long partially due to being swaddled?
    Is baby sleeping this long partially due to being topped off with a bottle?

I'm no longer swaddling, pacifier over night (though he does love his fingers), and no bottles yet

Does baby sleep in the same room as mom so any nursing cues, even cues in sleep, can be noticed and responded to? Crying is a late sign of hunger and some babies do not wake enough to cry even though they would nurse if mom offered.

No, but we have monitors and I wake VERY easily

How does mom feel? some fullness in the morning would be normal, but if mom is regularly feeling very full, engorged, or having letdowns overnight, that is possibly a sign baby jumped to a very long sleep stretch a little too quickly. When breastfeeding is established and going well, Mom and baby would typically be more or less in sync, and mom's body gives 'cues' that can be followed as well.
    Felt very engorged after 9 hours, but better after he ate, then I pumped. None mornings I'm fuller than others.

If you are concerned about this long stretch, there is nothing wrong with picking up a sleeping baby and offering to nurse to see what happens. Many babies can and do basically nurse in thier sleep.[/QUOTE]
    First-time mom to David Alan, born 5-20-12. Enjoying maternity leave for his 1st 5 months and then returning to full-time work as a school social worker and nursing mom.