Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy, unhappy, constant pain during the day and while sleep

Default Fussy, unhappy, constant pain during the day and while sleep

I have a 4 month old baby boy. He seems like he's in frequent pain. He will feed in short spurts and will not just sit down for a serious feeding (I hear 40mins+ is normal) and he feeds for about 5-10 minutes tops. When he was younger he latched really well and would feed for almost 20-30 minutes but within the last month he's changed. Seems like he's in pain when he feeds or right after. He does spit up a fair amount but he is gaining significant weight.

He cries a lot, seems like he's gassy and in pain a lot. He does this all through the night too getting little sleep.

I have tried:

1. Just feeding off of one breast for hind milk.
    2. Prilosec (per doctor).
    3. Cut out dairy and caffeene.
    4. Given him a little baby food mixed with breast milk.
    5. Gripe water.
    6. Other solutions like #5.

The doctor doens't seem to know what's wrong with him and he's just not getting any better.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Fussy, unhappy, constant pain during the day and while s

teething? try baby tylenol, cold washcloths, frozen teething rings, breastmilk frozen into cubes and given in mesh feeder (we just put them in washcloths--kinda messy but hey, he loved it), teething tablets (didn't do much for us but some people find they work great).
    as babies get older they often get more efficient at the breast and can get their meals quickly. Feeding time also depends on personality, there are the babies who really like to take their time, and others who are "all business". Sounds like your baby has always been a little faster than some.
    there's also something called the "four month fussies" when babies are just having a hard time being babies. They are adjusting to the new world they are now able to perceive, and it's just rough. Fortunately, it's just a phase.
    I'd lay off the baby food, as this is actually very hard on their tummies: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../delay-solids/
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

For a 4 month old baby, a 5-10 minute feeding is totally normal. It's usually newborns who feed for long periods. Older babies are usually much more efficient at the breast, and so interested in the world around them that they are less interested in long periods of comfort nursing. One of my kids started feeding for 5-10 minutes at around 4 months, the other did it from birth onwards. Both were totally normal babies!

I would see a different doc. It's quite possible that what you're seeing is the 4 month fussies and 4 month sleep "regression", but if one doc thought that reflux was a possibility then maybe another doc will be able to rule in/rule out that possibility,or suggest another medication or a different dosage of medication.

I would avoid feeding off just one breast unless you know you have an oversupply problem and the baby's poops are consistently green. I would also avoid baby food- it's not supposed to be introduced until 6 months, it's hard on a baby's tummy, and "thickened feeds" aren't a good treatment for reflux, AFAIK.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It is mostly when my baby is sleeping when he is in pain. He kicks and moves all night. He is up every hour and a half. I feel helpless. I don't know what to do.

When he is nursing he pulls off and on, like I have too much let down. I not sure if this is causing air, which is creating gas. He also yawns and cries like it hurts.

. Please help.

A forceful letdown can cause many of the issues you're seeing. Do you ever experience any of the following:
    - baby pulls off the breast when nursing
    - fast feedings (5-10 minutes)
    - if baby pulls off the breast while nursing, milk may stream or shoot from the breast
    - baby may choke, cough, gag, splutter, or make a clicking or clucking sound while nursing
    - baby's poops may be frequently or consistently green
    - mom may experience frequent feelings of fullness or engorgement
    - if pumping, mom may be able to pump multiple oz of milk with ease
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes we are seeing all of the symptoms that you are describing for forceful letdown.

What can we do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    A forceful letdown can cause many of the issues you're seeing. Do you ever experience any of the following:
    - baby pulls off the breast when nursing
    - fast feedings (5-10 minutes)
    - if baby pulls off the breast while nursing, milk may stream or shoot from the breast
    - baby may choke, cough, gag, splutter, or make a clicking or clucking sound while nursing
    - baby's poops may be frequently or consistently green
    - mom may experience frequent feelings of fullness or engorgement
    - if pumping, mom may be able to pump multiple oz of milk with ease

Try nursing in a reclined position. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my baby on my stomach or chest, and let him latch. You might need to tweak the position quite a bit to find something that works for you, so don't give up if it doesn't work or seems awkward at first. Nursing in a side lying position can help sometimes. Or you can try nursing with your baby in a mer upright position. My son liked to nurse in an upright position while nursing in the sling or Ergo. Keeping your baby upright for awhile after a feed can help if you are dealing with reflux too. I like a sling/carrier for that.

You can also try removing your baby from the breast at letdown, let the milk spray into a towel, then relatch your baby after the milk stops spraying. My baby had no patience for that, but it works quite well for some mamas.

I also needed to mechanically work on my baby's gas all. day. long. I needed to give a tummy massage then bicycle my son's legs in between every single feeding. He got a warm bath, bicycling legs before and after, every night. I would also hold him in a squatting position, which relaxes certain muscles making it easier to pass gas and poops. A little massage on his lower back seemed to help a little bit with the pain too.

ETA: with everyone on holding off on solids. Solids are much harder to digest, and will only make things worse.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Is it more on one side or the other? I don't have much advice because I never figured out my problem for sure but wanted to say that we went through what sounds like the same thing and it passed (after maybe a month? Maybe less.) and it stopped and she is still nursing and doing great now at 11 months. We were convinced that she was in pain, and it seemed to be worse when nursing on my right side so I was afraid there was some pain in her neck or back or something on that position. We thought (maybe wrong though) that that position was really hurting her. But I started not switching her around when switching sides but leaving her lying in the same direction, just moved her over if you know what I mean, so that her body was lying the same as it was when she was nursing the side that she didn't have this reaction, but I wasn't sure that doing that helped much, and I don't know if your baby is responding like this more on one side or the other. I never knew what it was but something about the milk supply seems likely in restrospect. My right breast is different, less so now, but always the one leaking and engorged. I don't leak much on either side now but in the beginning my shirt was always just wet on the right side, and that breast always seemed like the one that "needed" nursing, so I had to make a point to nurse the left one every other time because it was always the right one calling out for it. But that screaming cry when nursing on the right was so unnerving because we were afraid she was hurting, and it never happened while nursing the left, never, and it sounded like PAIN, but maybe it was frustration with the flow. So I never knew for sure, but all is well now, so hopefully this will pass soon for you as well.