Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too distracted to nurse

Default UPDATE / Re: Too distracted to nurse

I wanted to update on this in case someone else is going through something similar.
    I'm not sure if it was my trying harder or teething but she's nursing a lot better these days. Still not comfort nursing, but she never did. I think it might be related to the discomforts of teething. I am hoping it won't happen again but I think it will.

Default Re: Too distracted to nurse

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lasbi.modeu View Post
    THANKS ALL FOR YOUR GREAT ADVICE!

"it is good you are nursing at night precisely because it is probably helping baby get enough. " Really? I hear her nursing big gulps of milk but how can I be sure she eats enough to count as enough?
    Gosh, it sounds like we are in the same boat, in many ways (and so happy to hear that things have improved a bit for you in the last few days). My LO is also VERY distracted when we nurse and I worry a lot that he isn't getting enough and am terrified that he is going to prematurely wean. I've talked with a lot of people about this (and have gotten a little extra sleep lately, thanks to my husband, so am thinking more clearly) and I think we just have to trust that they are getting what they need. If she is happy, alert and active with wet nappies then I don't think you should worry. I think they can get really efficient and get a lot of milk in a very short period of time, especially when they are wanting to get on with things and play.

I sometimes worry that my LO isn't as attached to me or something because he isn't always on my boob, but I am now choosing to believe that he just feels really safe and confident and so wants to explore (not that babies who love nursing aren't feeling safe and confident as well, just expressing it differently). I know you've got the other kiddos to attend to, but I have found that sneaking in a few extra nursing sessions (really short ones, where I offer) helps ease my mind. Sometimes, I just play with him with my shirt undone, too, and he will just nip a quick gulp or two and then go on playing. We also relied heavily on nap nursing for a time (he seems to have a harder time sleeping while nursing just now). And, I also find that things just seem to change on a dime--teething, learning new skills, a cold, whatever all seem to impact his nursing behaviour.

Anyway, be encouraged that you aren't the only mama going through this! You're doing great.