Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Enough dirty nappies?

Default Enough dirty nappies?

We've been introducing food to my now 7 month old son for about a month now.
    Things slowed down a couple weeks ago when his two top teeth came through, but he is up to about 3 meals a day now. One jar of some sort of fruit purée (usually apple or pear, sometimes with the baby rice in it) in the morning (not the very first feed, I've kept that to just bf so far), one jar of the same after the next feed (Always bf first before offering solids) or a table spoon of the baby rice cereal to make sure he's getting his iron, then before bed I usually give him a vege mix of kumra pumpkin sweet corn and baby rice.
    I'm thinking that he may be having too much rice! I am thinking of poaching some chicken up and giving that to him at dinner with veges and no rice. If he's having chicken does that mean he doesn't need to have the baby rice cereal for the iron?
    Also how many dirty nappies should he be having now that he is eating more than just breast milk? Before solids he would have maybe 2 a week but sometimes as little as one in 10 days.
    After introducing solids he has about one a day to one every two days. He doesn't seem uncomfortable, although they have changed to about peanut butter consistency which I read on here is totally fine.
    Tried giving him some water but he didn't like it. Should I maybe try giving him a little prune juice mixed with water which he might drink because it's a bit more sweet than just plain water?
    Lots of questions! Thanks for your help ladies
    Chloe and Jack

Default Re: Enough dirty nappies?

Once significant quantities of solids are introduced, you want to look for a more regular, more frequent pooping pattern. One poop every 1-2 days sounds fine, especially because baby doesn't seem to be uncomfortable when pooping. You don't need to offer juice because your LO isn't constipated, and if he's going to drink something other than your milk it should be water. Juice isn't good for those developing teeth! Peanut-butter poop consistency is totally normal, and as you move into chunkier solids don't be surprised to see large chunks of undigested/partially digested food in your LO's poop. Until babies learn to chew well using their molars, it's normal to see food emerge more or less unchanged in the poop.

Your LO is already eating quite a lot of solid food. He probably doesn't need anywhere near that much- until the first birthday, being breastfed on demand meets all a baby's nutritional needs- and he certainly doesn't need the rice cereal. Rice cereal is fortified with vitamins and minerals like iron, but aside from that it's pure starch and not the healthiest thing to feed a baby. You can meet a baby's iron and other micronutrient needs by feeding him fruits, veggies, meats, beans, etc. So poach the chicken, shred it, and put it on his tray! He may really enjoy it- and allowing baby to self-feed will encourage him to self-regulate his food intake.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks!
    Yes he's eating quite a bit but I only feed him until he is no longer opening his mouth and pulling the spoon into his mouth.
    Am I feeding him too much? :/
    Always breast feed first and then I offer the other food!

It seems like a lot of solids to me- but bear in mind that my kids didn't touch more than a teaspoon or two of solid food per day until well over a year. I think that as long as you make sure to nurse first, and as long as baby is still nursing frequently- say 6-8 times a day, roughly?- then you're okay. But if you feel like baby is getting more and more nutrition from solids and less from the breast, it's probably time to back off on the solids, because until a year a baby's majority source of nutrition is supposed to be breastmilk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes I always bf first then offer solids. He still drinks about every 3-4 hours and usually 3-4 times over night.
    He is happy and is having enough dirty nappies so I guess I won't worry about it too much until any of that changes.
    Thanks for your help