Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is baby always hungry?

Default is baby always hungry?

My LO is a nice big baby. At her 4 mo. appointment, >99% for height, nice and plump and lots of dirty diapers. She eats at least by the hour during the day. I have a hard time pumping at home, bc I feed her, leave her w/ DP, set up my pump and begin when DP brings DD to me fussy, says she's hungry. I say no, I just fed her, but ok, I'll feed her again. I never have a chance to pump at home bc DD seems to constantly want to BF. Even though I feed her @ night, I have a hard time getting myself up to pump in the middle of the night.
    Is she always hungry? She does cluster feed a lot, which I thought she would have outgrown by now.

I'm concerned that she wants to eat every hour, and will be overfed. Should her caregiver just try to distract her more with play when I'm away? It seems that doesn't work if I'm there. Is it just comfort nursing? Any tips on replacing the cluster-fed baby's eating habits when away at school and work?

Default Re: is baby always hungry?

Congrats on nursing your baby for 4 months! Sounds like she is doing very well!

Is she being supplemented with any other foods (formula, solid food, water)? How often are you pumping when away from her? Could she be teething?

It can be challenging when babies go through growth spurts (http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/) and no babies don't generally outgrow cluster feeding. If you're seperated from your LO for a period of time she may want to nurse more when with you in order to reconnect.

Make sure that your Care provider isn't blowing through your milk supply as a way to comfort your baby (pacing the feed and offering frequent breaks may help baby realize she is full). A baby comfort nursing at the bottle is eating whereas a baby who comfort nurses from the breast can suck a certain way so that milk doesn't come rushing down at them (though some do comfort suck and obtain a milk ejection reflect anyways, whether they wanted it or not ).

Does your baby take a pacifier when away from you? That may be something to try.

Regarding pumping at home, can you feed from one breast and pump the opposite? If this will interfere with your LO's feeds then I don't recommend it but instead try pumping after feeding numerous times a day (you can accumulate this milk over a 24 hour period).
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not in a hurry to supplement at all, but DP and MIL will be the ones watching her when I'm away (start next Monday, 40 hrs/wk). Side story: MIL since day 1 has told me how to nurse (lol she grabbed my boob and everything a few times), she is helpful (sometimes) pushing pillows under my arm etc. He was her 4th baby and never, not once, was BF. As a 10 lb baby, when the nurse brought the usual bottle of formula she laughed it was too small and gave him 8 - 10 oz bottles every feeding from birth! She also recommends supplementing to me a lot, and I scare her probly saying I'll be bf for a few yrs maybe haha. I have a feeling they'll be giving DD cereal, solid food, water, etc while I'm away. I'll just continue bf while I'm with DD and let them go on. Since she doesn't understand (or agree) when I tell her my plump DD only needs 3 oz bottles. Yes she even calls herself mama to my baby a lot, by mistake so she says. Anywho.
    I thought babies were supposed to ebf til 6 mo - 12mo. Wondering why was given info on supplementing at her 4 mo app, and email today from what to expect about giving baby food betw/ 4-6 mos. Doesn't sound right to me but idk.

We'll try the paci with her. Found some really good info from your link to kellymom. Thanks again!!

peds often still push the (outdated) advice to supplement cereals before 6 months.

why are you pumping now? just to practice for being back at work etc? i hear you about how hard it is for you with the frequent feeding, but you really only need enough milk for your first day back; during that day you'll pump for the 2nd day. so getting ANY extra right now is bonus. aim for 1-1.5 oz per hour you're away, and also check out the kellymom article on bottle feeding the breastfed baby http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/. from what you're describing about your MIL, you're going to have some challenges with overfeeding and with solids. if i were you, i'd want to know ahead of time exactly what lines i would draw (eg, are you actually ok with her giving cereals at 4 months while you're at work? are you actually ok with her overfeeding milk and risking you not being able to pump enough, then having to supplement with formula? etc.) run through some scenarios in your head and decide how you feel about them, what you'll fight for, what things you're willing to let go, etc. lots of us here can help you negotiate the issues you want to negotiate! and remember: YOU're the mama, so it's your (and your DH's) word that matters, no matter how MIL or DP wants to do it!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Do you have any milk pumped and saved for your first day of work? I agree - try pumping while nursing. Or - have DP take the baby outside for a walk while you pump. Babies need to feed as often as they want to - they know when they are hungry and in need of comfort.

And, I'm sorry to remark on your comments regarding your MIL. If you don't want your baby to eat food before she is 6 months old - then DO NOT LET your mother in law feed her solids before then. Also, you are going to have a hard hard time pumping enough for your baby if your mother in law is going ot overfeed her. I would not just let them go on and do their thing. She can derail your breastfeeding goals. You sound like you want to nurse your baby until she is at least a year. From the things you are saying, I would be worried about MIL giving the baby 8 ounce bottles - force feeding the baby when she doesn't want to continue eating - maybe tossing out a bunch of the milk that you pumped because the baby still wouldn't drink it - and possibly giving your baby formula without you knowing. Also, babies don't need water and too much water can actually hurt them.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

How do you pump one side while bf? I feel like I need 5 hands

Yes I have a small freezer stash, not sure why I thought we needed it. Our freezer's small, and was thinking will take it over mother in laws since she has lots of freezer space there. Then she at least hopefully won't try formula w/o my being asked. I'd rather she overfeed for a month or 2 just w/ freezer stash, rather than supplement early. do babies drink less milk when foods and cereal are introduced?

You nurse the baby in the football hold on one side and hold the pump on the other side. At least, that's how I did it.

If you have enough milk for the first day, then stop worrying about pumping while you are with your baby. You will be pumping at work, which should hopefully be enough.

You really do not want your baby to be overfed for a few reasons. First - it can make your baby expect to get 8 ounces at a time when nursing from you, which is unlikely and cause refusal to nurse, Second - it will be so easy to get so much out of the bottle so quickly that your baby might start refusing to nurse because of a bottle preference. Third - it will be difficult for you to keep up with that demand by pumping. If your baby gets fed the entire amount that she needs in 24 hours in the 8 or so hours that you are gone, she is going to be too full to nurse when she is with you. That might sound like a dream to you right now since she wants to nurse every hour, but trust me, it won't be. She won't want to nurse when you bring her home and your supply will take a hit. ESPECIALLY if you are using freezer stash to supplement what you are pumping with.

Babies generally drink the same amount, for the most part, for the first year. They need between 1 and 1.5 ounces of milk per hour away from you. No more than that.

ETA: I hope I'm not sounding overly critical here. I don't mean to be. But your milk supply is a delicate balance between supply and demand. So if your baby stops demanding milk from you because she's drinking too much from bottles, then you will find yourself needing to pump more and more. Nursing is so much more efficient at getting milk out than the pump. Your milk supply will be stimulated more by the baby nursing when you are together than by any amount of pumping you can do. Your freezer stash should only be used in an emergency. Not as a supplement. You haven't gone back to work yet, so you don't yet know how much you will be able to pump during the day, or how much your baby will need. But I urge you to not give your MIL permission to overfeed your baby. Not only is it bad for your supply, it is bad for your baby.
    Last edited by @llli*mommy2lilah; August 14th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

i always left explicit instructions on what i wanted my dc to feed my son and when. if there were ever a question they were to call me.

i would do the same with your MIL. you can be nice and matter of fact. kellymom has some simple printouts that you can leave on her fridge:
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...le_feeding.pdf
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...oughmilk01.pdf
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...kstorage01.pdf
    if ever you can nurse your baby during the day that is great. maybe your MIL can bring the baby to you or something. i would go to the dc because it was close during my lunch.

also keep in mind that the composition of BM changes as the baby grow, the volume does not need to increase. that is awesome isnt it . the needs of the baby are met through these changes. unfortunatley many mil and caregivers do not understand this and think that as the baby grows they need more milk. that is not true. try to keep the bottles small, i used to send in 3 oz bottles.

and stick to your guns. dont let your mil push you into allowing something that you do not want. this is your baby.

and here is some general info just for you regarding solids and formula. keep in mind that babies should have bm as the primary nurtition source untl 12 months, sokids are just for exploration:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../solids-sleep/

oh, and i would encourage her to wear the baby whenever possible, this will help with comfort and soothing

Oh man, your MIL sounds like a handful.

I like how PP stated the advice above in that your MIL will need very specific instructions on what to do/not to do. Remember this is your baby and you call the shots (and are her best advocate!).
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

Oh Yes, inkedstar, she's something. Thank you all so much for the great tips to help make this work. Today was orientation for school, gone 5 hrs. pumped a bit over 4 oz and fed DD from the tap before I left. She was w/ DH, He said he tried 2 diff bottles, she wouldn't take them. She did not seem hungry (tho I was engorged and had some sore spots on my , was it a little bit of plugged ducts possibly?) ?? She just had a huge BM that looked mostly like a ton of peanut butter (as usual) but with streaks of brown all through (strange). Why would there be brown streaks? sorry just thought maybe this should be a new thread for that question? gotta go she's blowing up another diaper.