Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First solids and constipation issues...

Default Re: First solids and constipation issues...

I need help with stool questions too! I keep reading that constipation in babies is hard, pellet-like poo. Well, I'm not sure how hard that means. My almost 9 month old is having BMs everywhere from several times/day to every other day, so the frequency is not a problem, but it is NOT like peanut butter anymore. It used to be, and would stick all over her bum. Now, it comes out as small (1" or so) and putty-like. It's the opposite of sticky, I could probably pick it up without getting any on my fingers (sorry, gross). Is THAT constipation?

We do BLW and she eats a varied diet of whole foods at breakfast, lunch and dinner and occasionally a snack. No bananas (she doesn't touch 'em). She nurses 6-8 times/day and has sips of water from a cup with most meals. I've determined that the water does nothing to help. Recently overnight I changed a sopping wet diaper with another small putty-poo!

What foods could we try adding to/removing from her diet to help, OR is this type of stool perfectly normal?

Inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*isabelofmtl View Post
    I need help with stool questions too! I keep reading that constipation in babies is hard, pellet-like poo. Well, I'm not sure how hard that means. My almost 9 month old is having BMs everywhere from several times/day to every other day, so the frequency is not a problem, but it is NOT like peanut butter anymore. It used to be, and would stick all over her bum. Now, it comes out as small (1" or so) and putty-like. It's the opposite of sticky, I could probably pick it up without getting any on my fingers (sorry, gross). Is THAT constipation?

We do BLW and she eats a varied diet of whole foods at breakfast, lunch and dinner and occasionally a snack. No bananas (she doesn't touch 'em). She nurses 6-8 times/day and has sips of water from a cup with most meals. I've determined that the water does nothing to help. Recently overnight I changed a sopping wet diaper with another small putty-poo!

What foods could we try adding to/removing from her diet to help, OR is this type of stool perfectly normal?

Inexperienced.
    I'd say it's borderline. Small, putty-like, hard enough that you could pick it up without getting poop on your fingers- that's all very constipation-y. If she seems to be in discomfort or pain when pooping, or the frequency starts to decree to less than one per day, I'd talk to the pediatrician. Hopefully you won't get there. Push the "P" fruits (peaches, pears, aPricots, plums) and other soft fruits (blueberries and cherries are especially good) and decrease her intake of apples (the pectin in the peel is used for making jams and jellies firm up, and can have the same effect on poop), cheese, white bread, and rice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Besides Bananas You should avoid all foods in the BRAT diet. Which are all foods to plug up. So NO Bread, No rice, as well as no bananas or apples.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks, ladies! I'm trying a major modification of her diet, eliminating or radically decreasing the "offensive" foods and doing our best to increase the "good" ones. I found this website with a very detailed list: http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipe...stipation.html

It adds to what you've already said (BRAT and all that).

Already today DD had a much larger, softer poo, so mommy was very happy about that