Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: advising my sister ; don't want to steer her wrong

Default advising my sister ; don't want to steer her wrong

My sister had her first baby five days ago. From our conversations on the phone, it sounds like she is experiencing oversupply and oald . But her baby is having trouble and my sister is struggling. The baby has jaundice so my sister and her dh have been just doing whatever it takes to keep her well fed so she'll get over the jaundice more quickly.

I've been explaining to my sister that her pumping is probably making the oversupply worse, but she doesn't want to quit pumping completely because they're still having to feed the baby with a syringe when she has trouble nursing (due to the oald ) .

If it weren't for the jaundice, my sister says she wouldn't be so anxious about keeping the baby fed and she could be more insistent about nursing at the breast.

What I am inclined to advise, is that she drop all pumping and hand express just enough to alleviate engorgement. If she has enough pumped milk to last a couple days in case her baby continues to struggle at the breast, but I'm guessing once her supply goes down to a more manageable level her dd will have a much easier time.

I was supposed to be going down to see her this week, but now thanks to us all having colds, it looks like the trip will be delayed a few days at least. I've been trying to describe some different positions she might try but it would be so much easier if I could actually show her.

Anyway, do you think the above is sound advice? I want to be more certain before I potentially lead her into more struggles.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Default Re: advising my sister ; don't want to steer her wrong

Well, if she wants to hand express, I'd advise giving her a link to hand expression like http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html That is amazing, to me, that she has OS at 5 days already. Does she have an IBCLC nearby who can help her? I would also get her a copy of Womanly Art, newest ed.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    That is amazing, to me, that she has OS at 5 days already.
    It doesn't surprise me, though. I had OS that early, too (but I had strong nursers who could handle it). And there's the fact that for a while she was pumping after pretty much every feeding, which is also going to encourage OS...

Does she have an IBCLC nearby who can help her?
    She just saw one this afternoon, who told her the same things I was going to tell her, so that makes me feel good that she has someone down there who is also giving her good advice and support. Also, the LC advised her to stop worrying about nursing every 2-3 hours and just nurse on demand (I hadn't realized that my sister had been told to nurse on a schedule before). She's had two successful feedings at the breast since seeing the LC and is feeling much more relaxed and confident now
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Yeah I wasn't doubting that she had OS. My baby didn't remove milk really and when she was 4 days old and I had to start pumping because she was starving...having OS and a baby getting lots of milk at 5 days is very different. I'm glad things seem to be going better!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.