Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possible dumb question :)

Default Possible dumb question :)

When I'm told to nurse my baby every two hours, does that mean 2 hours from the start of a feeding or 2 hours from when she's finished with the last feed and her belly is full?

She's 6 weeks old and starting to space her feedings apart more. Not sure how "baby led" I should be in this area as I have a slow gainer. But, she is sleeping more and I don't want to wake her up too often if I don't have to!

Default Re: Possible dumb question :)

There are no dumb questions.

When someone says: "my baby nurses every 2 hours" that means the second session starts 2 hours after the first session started - so theoretically if your baby is nursing every 2 hours there may only be one hour in between, ya know?

Typically, nursing on demand is the way to go (following their lead and watching for early hunger signs), but there is no way to overfeed a breastfed baby, so offering every two hours wont hurt
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Agree with pp. I just wanted to add that generally it's not recommended to leave a newborn for more than 4 hours between feeds (I live in France so not sure what USA recommendations are for this - the other lll ladies will chime in, I'm sure). So if your LO wants to sleep a bit longer that's fine, but as pp said, there's also nothing negative with continuing the 2hr pattern.

HTH
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

Yes, every two hours is from the start of the previous feeding. As baby grows they learn to suck more effectively and maybe that she doesn't have to nurse every 2 hours at this point. As pp said, look for signs of hunger and early cues, but if she wants to sleep and feed every 3 hours, then I would let her, as long as output is good and wt gain is happening even if it slow gain. My previous son ate every 2 hours until he was 12 months and was in the 10th percentile of wt until 9 months. My current son, ate every 3-4 hours since birth and is in the 90th percentile of wt, plus he stays at my breast less than my previous one. So what i am trying to say here is: every baby is different, there is no wrong or right, as long as they are growing and out put is adequate, so just go with the flow
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

No dumb questions here!! PP's explained the rule of the "every 2 hours", letting baby sleep longer at night may be ok IF baby begins to gain well (ie-wake often during the day but let baby sleep 3-4 hours at night with one longer stretch if baby is having one).
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

You could look at number of nursing sessions in 24 hours rather than the amount of time between feedings-- as long as she's nursing at least 8-10 times every 24 hours (if she's gaining slowly you probably want to aim for the high end of that range), you can be a bit more flexible about how the feedings are spaced.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--