Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need a pep talk

Default Need a pep talk

I am really tired. DD is teething (first tooth just popped up), our baby-sitter is quitting (so that means non-stop interviewing and worrying about finding the right person), and DD hasn't slept through the night once in the last 10 months.

I'm exhausted. I have 8 more weeks of pumping till DD turns one year old (and then I'm pump-weaning as fast as I can do so safely). These 8 weeks cannot go fast enough.

I need a pep talk. I need to know this gets better. I've already made it this far, but I'm starting to contemplate pump-weaning earlier and just doing formula while I'm at work because I'm so tired. On the other hand I'm really scared that would mean the end of nursing, as my supply would take a really significant hit. I hate the thought of having to supplement on weekends.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Need a pep talk

Hey mama - this is all pretty normal. What would pump-weaning buy you right now? I don't understand how it would make you less tired. Also, how would you deal with night-wakings if your baby weaned because the milk was almost gone?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I don't have much advice but want to encourage you to hang in there!! You're going through one of the toughest parts of nursing (teething) and soooo close to that one year finish line!! I'm sorry that your babysitter is quitting, it's so hard to find someone trust worthy to care for your baby and the process is often so frusterating!

Can you use a visual aid to remind yourself daily how close you are? Any incentives (maybe at the end of each week do something to pamper yourself?) you can think of? Is there anything specific you dislike about pumping?

WTG for doing such outstanding work so far. I do not envy moms who have to pump in order to maintain your breastmilk supply!!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

You are almost there! I know how over whelming it is and the stress to find a trustworthy person to care for your baby. Are you pumping because you work, or because baby doesn't latch? if you're pumping at work, then this shouldn't be for much longer...8 more weeks, so it is DOWNHILL from here and the countdown can start. Just remember that you've already done it for much longer than that. I know how tiring it is to pump, every time I pump, i just think... 4 more months, 4 more months and smile because i've already done 8 months! WOHOO! Hang in there, once the 12 months are done, it will get so much easier
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Hey mama - this is all pretty normal. What would pump-weaning buy you right now? I don't understand how it would make you less tired. Also, how would you deal with night-wakings if your baby weaned because the milk was almost gone?
    Well I wouldn't have to pump x3 at work (which is stressful and time-consuming). I wouldn't have to wash pump-parts every night.

And if I have no milk at night anymore (which would be sad), my husband could finally help me with night-time parenting.

I now understand women who switch to combination feeding or formula when they go back to work...

You sound like you are in a desperate place right now. What about having DH wash the pump parts? He can do that. What if you dropped one pumping session during the day and substituted yogurt or even formula for that bottle? Would that put you in a place where you could keep nursing?

What are your nights like? Is there something we can help you trouble shoot there?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months