Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis, Thrush and Pumping, Oh My!

Smile Mastitis, Thrush and Pumping, Oh My!

Hello ladies,

This is my first post. I am currently nursing my second child born on 5/31 and who is now 10 weeks old. I was treated for two rounds of mastitis, on 7/11 & 7/24, with the second course requiring admission to the hospital for IV antibiotics. I feel like I've finally got that under control and have been been off the antibiotics since 8/5. I returned to work full time on 8/6 and have been pumping twice a day at work from each breast. I was already pumping following our 3-4 am feeding to decrease the chances of recurrent mastitis since my son has been inconsistent with his sleep patterns. Some nights he'll go four hours between feedings but he occasionally goes 5-6 hours between feedings. I think the start of the prolonged sleep sessions is what led to my first round of mastitis. This past weekend, I noticed superficial pain with nursing, increased fussiness of my son while nursing and what appeared to be white patches on the inside of his lips. I took him to his doctor today who confirmed thrush and prescribed nystatin drops. I then called my doctor's office and the nurse advised that I can use nystatin cream on myself several times a day. Both my son's doctor and my doctor's nurse said I don't have to take any precautions with bottles, pacifiers, burp cloths, etc. I did call the lactation support center here and they advised boiling anything (bottles, pacifiers, toys, etc) that comes into contact with my son's mouth daily and to wash sheets, towels, bras, etc in hot water. The lactation consultant also advised I could be experiencing pain because of the increased frequency of pumping. She said if I don't see a decrease in pain after treatment, I could try going up a size for the phlanges since I'm currently using the smallest ones and they rarely recommend using that size due to many of their clients expressing pain with that size.

So, my questions are:

1. Do I follow the adivse of the doctors to not treat our environment or do I listen to the lactation consultant and get busy with disinfecting?

2. I realize the disinfecting process also extends to pump parts. I use a Medela PISA. Can I boil/microsteam the tubes or should I buy new tubes?

3. I read that I need to replace nipples and pacifiers weekly until treatment is complete. Is this necessary and do I also need to replace the pump parts weekly until treatment is complete?

I am committed to continue breastfeeding. I would love to make it to a year if not longer. I am thrilled I have come this far with nursing my son since I only nursed my daughter for a month. I was very niave with what all occurs in a healthy breastfeeding relationship when nursing my daughter as well resuming a full college courseload a week after having her via c-section. I had my son via c-section as well. He was 8 lbs and 5 oz when born and weighed 13 lbs 13.5 oz at today's appointment. I am super-proud that I am the source of his cute chunkiness! My boss is super-supportive and gracious in allowing me time to deal with these issues as they arise, but I do want to get this resolved as quickly and thouroughly as possible to prevent casting any doubt on my dependability at work. I also want to ensure I'm taking all necessary precautions to prevent further discomfort in my son and myself that may hamper our nursing relationship.

Any advice and support is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Heather
    Mom of Audrey, born 8/2000, and Liam, born 5/31/12

Default Re: Mastitis, Thrush and Pumping, Oh My!

I know EXACTLY what you are going through -- I have had one round of mastitis and now I am dealing with thrush from it. I too am wondering the same questions as you regarding pacifiers and all equipment. I am also pumping to help with some of the pain and I am wondering if I decide to freeze the milk will that bring back the thrush? Should I use the milk that I have pumped with him now to eliminate the risk.

Hang in there -- although it is a tough situation (and very painful) I am glad to have the support on here and know others have experienced the same things and we can talk through them together!

according to the breastfeeding text Breastfeeding answers made simple, the extra precautions for cleaning and sterilizing things that come into contact with mothers breast, her milk, and/or babies mouth are suggested if thrush recurs. But of course, i think it makes sense to try to avoid recurrence in the first place by at least cleaning things that are coming into direct contact with the thrush and also that everyone in the household is very studious about hand washing. Also, if thrush recurs other members of the family may require treatment.
    Nystatin is often not effective for treating thrush FYI. For a very complete overview of thrush treatments, i suggest have your LC print out for you or read to you the section on thrush treatments in Breastfeeding answers made simple (Mohrbacher, 2010-pages 652-655)

Also thrush is very hard to diagnose and is often misdiagnosed. Other causes for latch pain should be considered.

oh and as far as stored milk-again, according to bams, freezing does not kill yeast, but no one is sure if expressed milk can cause a recurrence. It suggests mom use up possibly thrushy expressed milk while treatment is still going on or, if that is not possible, to boil the milk to kill any yeast prior to giving it to baby. obviously do not give hot milk to baby-ykwim!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I have proceeded with resterilizing bottles, pacifiers, pump parts, etc. I also plan to use up the milk expressed while we are on treatment and not store it long term to prevent recolonization.

It has just been one thing after another. I'm definitely looking forward to those easy, carefree nursing days I often hear about. I do appreciate how much I've learned from reading these threads. There have been so many times I've come across something that addresses exactly what I'm been going through. It's encouraging to see there are so many others with similar experiences who have succeeded.
    Heather
    Mom of Audrey, born 8/2000, and Liam, born 5/31/12