Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 14 weeks old - can I send hospital pump back and use mine?

Default 14 weeks old - can I send hospital pump back and use mine?

To cut a long story short, from the start my son had latch issues related to tongue tie, a slightly recessed jaw, and tightness due to a forceps delivery. I won't go into detail but here are the previous threads if anyone is interested:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...gue-tie-*LONG*

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...s-about-supply

I rented a hospital grade pump (Ameda Elite) when he was around 6 weeks old and have been using it for 2 months. His latch still isn't great but it is slowly getting better, and I am no longer in pain, although he does still sometimes chomp on my nipple and I have to position him carefully each time. He feeds better some times than others, sometimes he softens my breast well but not always. He usually seems satisfied after a feed, although he doesn't get 'milk drunk' like he did at the beginning - he either falls asleep, or he wants to play. I feed on demand and offer regularly, even if he isn't obviously asking - he will usually have some.

His diaper output is ok - plenty of wets and at least one big poop a day, although sometimes he will also do smaller greenish poops. He has always been a fairly slow gainer and is gradually dropping percentiles very slowly (I think something like from the 7th to the 2nd), but always gaining and roughly following a curve. He is growing in length, meeting all milestones, sleeping well, and is generally a happy, active and alert baby.

We have been seeing an osteopath for the past 6 weeks or so, I'm not sure how much it is helping or whether things would have improved anyway. The very experienced IBCLC we are also seeing thinks it is helping, she is also generally happy with how my son is progressing and feeding, but said to make sure I feed him more if his poops are green.

I am only pumping once a day now, and my husband feeds him milk expressed the day before. I always manage to pump what he drinks (around 100 ml), sometimes a bit extra, which I then freeze.

I am wondering whether it is ok to return the Elite and use the Purely Yours instead, which I own. I have spent a LOT of money on breastfeeding (books, pump, seeing the IBCLC and osteopath) so could do with saving the cost of the rental - on the other hand, I don't want my supply to drop. I am still taking fenugreek 3 times a day.

Any advice gratefully appreciated

Default Re: 14 weeks old - can I send hospital pump back and use min

Wow, you have made so much progress since you first posted!!! I hope you feel proud of yourself, because you should!

I think that at this point, you should be okay to return the Elite and just go with the Purely Yours. You're only pumping 1x per day, and the PY is more than adequate for that. Or should be, anyway. It may take more than one session to generate the next evening's bottle when you're using the PY instead of the Elite, but that's not a big deal.

Since you have such a little guy, you might want to try making double cream bottles for that one evening feeding. What you do is you pump a bottle and let it sit in the fridge until the cream separates out and floats to the top. Then you skim off that cream and add it to another bottle of expressed milk. Result: a bottle with extra calories.

ETA: if it makes you feel any better, I spent about $800 renting a pump and scale and on additional nursing-related doodads. It was a ton of $$$, but 6 years on I am still very glad I spent it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 14 weeks old - can I send hospital pump back and use min

Thanks Mommal I still feel we have a way to go, but when this is all over (i.e. when he can latch well, or he isweaned) I guess I will look back and be proud we made it.

Great idea about the double cream bottles! I was wondering whether I needed to supplement twice a day but I struggle with the bottle and his dad is only around in the evening. This sounds like a good way of giving him a bit extra. I have a big freezer stash so will make one up now for tonight's feed