Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week old...looking for reassurance

Default 2 week old...looking for reassurance

Hello

My LO is 2 weeks old and I have been BFing since birth. He latches on well but sometimes feeds up to 14 times a day, sometimes for 20 mins, but others only 5 or 10 mins.

Im worried he's not satisfied if he wants to feed so often, sometimes only an hour has past before the last feed.

I would like to continue BFing, but the last couple of days I have come close to switching to formula, just because im worried about the amount of milk he is getting.

On average he has about 7 wet nappies and 5 dirty nappies a day...

Does this sounds normal??

Thankyou

Default Re: 2 week old...looking for reassurance

Totally normal. You do NOT need formula. And if you use formula, you probably will end up with low supply. He might be hitting a growth spurt a bit early. Or he's a boy....all four of mine wanted to eat far more often than "average." even the bottlefed one.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

yes, that is totally normal for a 2 week-old. my son is 6mos, and still likes to eat every 1-2 hrs. doesn't sound as though you need to worry about supplementing with formula for any reason.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Totally normal. As long as the output is adequate and he is comforatble, then don't worry about it and just relax and enjoy your bundle of joy!
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Completely normal. I know there are people out there who claim that babies "should" eat only every X number of hours- but those tend to be the same people who never successfully breastfed a baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As everyone else says, this type of frequent feeding is not only normal-it is typically even needed-especially in these early weeks. It sounds like you and baby are doing excellent!

This is a nice article about what is normal in the early weeks. http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/ and this is one about frequent nursing http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing/

In some parts of the world where bottle feeding never became the norm, (bottles started everyone counting and timing feedings) moms nurse their babies 20 times a day and don't give it a thought. Frequent, typically smaller feedings are considered so much healthier than the typical infrequent large feedings of bottle fed babies, the trend now is to suggest cue feeding for bottle fed babies as well as breastfed babies.

Thankyou for your replies...im just a worrier!!

Also sometimes by boobs feel full and i can tell the difference once LO has fed, and then other times my boobs feel soft and "normal" like theres no milk i there....if that makes sense

That's also normal. A lot of moms think that they need to feel "full" or engorged all the time in order to be making sufficient milk, but that's not the case. Once supply and demand are well matched, it's common to never feel full unless the bay skips several feedings in a row.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thankyou
    Im still new to all this xx