Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possible Thrush?

Default Possible Thrush?

Hi just a quick question. Is it possible to have thrush with no other symptoms than a slight itching? I have no pain, my breasts aren't red/hot and I can't see any signs on DD.... However, when I nurse my breasts have been a bit itchy although not enough to disturb nursing.

Thanks for any help/advice.
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

Default Re: Possible Thrush?

Yes, you could definitely have a mild case of thrush (although it could just be skin dryness, too). If you're not in pain, I might just suggest treating you and your baby with some probiotics? Avoid using ointments that create a moisture barrier on your nipples and keep your nipples dry for a couple of day (change out breast pads frequently and avoid pads with plastic backing). You can also rinse your nipples in vinegar occasionally. All of these measures will make your nipples a less desirable place for yeast to colonize, but won't hurt you if in fact this is NOT thrush.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.