Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Check my plan?

Default Check my plan?

So, a couple of things:

- DS is a year old this week. LOVES solid food. Eats like a linebacker.

- He still nurses, but it's much less frequent and, honestly, he doesn't seem that attached to it. When he does nurse, he's good for about five minutes and then he's sitting up and raring to go do something else. The important sessions are morning and bed time, and honestly, I think I'm more attached to those than he is!

- I'm starting a new job in two weeks. I'd dearly like to pump wean.

So I'd like to start slowly supplementing the BM that I'm sending to daycare with other milk. I've already done this a couple of times when my milk output was low, so I supplemented the missing couple of ounces with coconut milk (DS is finally getting over his dairy allergy, and so we've been avoiding cow's milk but I think he can have it now).

Is this how other's have done it? Right now I'm pumping three times during the work day, then once before bed, and until this week I was also getting up at 3am. Over the last week I've been dropping the 3am session, but I still have that panicky feeling when I put his bottles together and they don't add up to what I would normally send. But...he's a year old now, so that's okay, right? I mean, now is the perfect time to start adding in a bit of cow's milk and slowly reducing my pumping, replacing what I'm not pumping with cow's milk, until it's all cow's milk I'm sending. Does that sound right?

I would love to be fully pump weaned ASAP, but I know that realistically I probably will still have to have at least one pumping session, probably on my lunch break, for a little while at the start of the new job, until I can get used to dropping that session.

It feels so weird to be thinking of sending less BM to day care...I've been panicking so long about not making enough, and now I guess that's okay at his age. How do you get used to this? DS is definitely more ready to wean, or will be, sooner than I am!
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: Check my plan?

If you're still nursing 4X per day, your baby actually doesn't need any additional milk. Coconut milk or something like that is great, and you can send it, but milk substitutes are not necessary. Your baby can eat solids and drink water during the day.

I can't believe you've been pumping at 3 a.m. every day! You poor thing! Definitely drop that one and get some sleep!

Some women can pump wean more quickly than others, but the safe way is to go slowly, dropping one session and seeing how that goes before dropping another one. If you have a somewhat flexible work situation, you can just go until your breasts feel really full (but not painfully so) and then pump, every day, until you can go all day and nurse when you get home. This is how I dropped my last session - I just pushed it later and later every day until I could make it home to my baby instead of pumping.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: Check my plan?

JoMo - thanks for the tips! We aren't actually nursing 4x a day during the week; Monday through Friday he goes to daycare full time, and those days we only nurse in the morning when he wakes up and at night before bed (he consistently sleeps through the night). On the weekend we nurse about 4-5 times a day. So that would mean I still need to send some kind of milk to daycare, right?
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.