Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 wk old spitting up but still hungry - comfort nursing?

Default 2 wk old spitting up but still hungry - comfort nursing?

Hi All

My 2 week old son is eating constantly. After doing some searching around on this site I know that he is probably going through a growth spurt, but it worries me that he spits up pretty often after eating lately. Today he spit up around 4 times - not projectile or anything, just flowing out. He usually will spit up after he has fallen asleep on the breast and while I am burping him. He doesn't seem bothered or in any pain. Each time he spits up, he immediately beings rooting, sucking on his hands and eventually crying if he is not nursed again soon. Many times he will just fall asleep right after I put him back on the breast.

My question is - how do I know the difference between when he wants to comfort nurse and when he is actually hungry. I know that I should be feeding on demand and that there is no harm in comfort nursing if that's all he wants to do - but on days like today when he spits up so often, I wonder if I'm doing the right thing by continuing to put him on the breast when I don't believe he is truly hungry anymore. Tonight I ended up giving him a pacifier after he spit up twice and he fell asleep pretty quickly.

I'm open to all advice and suggestions

Thanks!

Default Re: 2 wk old spitting up but still hungry - comfort nursing?

Sounds like you know the drill, growth spurt= LOTS of feeds (more info here: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurts/).
    Your DS sounds similar to mine in that he would eat beyond his limits and then need to burble some of it back up. He did this after most feeds and eventually outgrew it.

One trick I found helpful was to tone down my burping and just let him hang out upright after feeding (for 10-15 minutes). Actively trying to burp him often just made him spit up more. My guy would often root afterwards and depending on the amount of spit up he would either need to eat more or just want to comfort nurse his way back to sleep. Follow his cues and offer the same side if he is wanting to relatch (that way if he ISN'T hungry then he won't be drowned in another MER and then spit up again). If he's hungry he will let you know and then you can switch to the other side!

Info on "happy spitters" here! Congrats on meeting that first growth spurt milestone!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

Hi There -- I don't know if this will help - but sometimes I will have my husband burp my son and comfort him after a feeding (hold him in a upright position for around 10 minutes.) I have found that even smelling me or knowing that I am there causes him to want to comfort feed when he actually isn't hungry at all. Something to think about and see if it might help with some of the feedings.

Spitting up that happens without evidence of pain = laundry issue. Don't worry about it, and don't feel like it's a problem that you need to solve.

Just FYI: pacifier use is discouraged until 3-4 weeks, or until breastfeeding is well-established. At 2 weeks your baby is still just beginning to master the art of nursing, and your milk supply is trying to find the right level. So it's best to meet baby's suckling needs with the breast right now, as nature intended.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would skip the pacifier use at this age, still too young. Babies who are BF do not eat beyond their limits physically, that is just one amazing thing about nursing, it teaches the baby to self regulate. As mommal said, spitting up is normal and nothing to worry about unless its truly projectile and accompied by things like pain, etc. you can tell when baby is not activily nursing as he will not be swallowing, etc. however especially at this stage the non nutritive sucking pkays an important role, it encourages your body and supply to make the exact right amount of milk that he needs. Keep putting him to the breast as much as he wants. You are doing great mama!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I wonder if I'm doing the right thing by continuing to put him on the breast when I don't believe he is truly hungry anymore.
    I am having a very similar situation with my two week old (tomorrow) daughter. In particular she has a fussy period in the evening where she wants to nurse and nurse despite also spitting up. This is my third baby and my first was also just like this.

Of course I know, like you do, intellectually that it is fine and appropriate and perfectly healthy to continue to nurse as much as baby wants. But even so I have doubts sometimes and last night after hours of this I asked her if she was SURE she wanted more. My husband, who was holding her at the moment as she rooted madly on his chest, kind of rolled his eyes and said "I think she is sure” and handed her over to me. And that was the time she finally nursed to sleep.

Whether your baby is actually hungry when he nurses is irrelevant. Yes, comfort nursing is not only OK it is very important. Nursing is much, much more than a breast milk delivery system. Babies nurse for comfort, connection and communication as well as for sustenance. This is all by natures brilliant design and not only allows a baby to get enough to eat overall no matter what issues may arise, it also, at this age, allows baby to ensure that milk is removed very frequently, (helping avoid issues like engorgement and its attendant concerns) and also which keeps mom's milk production increasing and then leveling off exactly where it needs to be and then staying where it needs to be as long as baby nurses.

Baby knows best. When parents interfere with this natural process with pacifiers or bottles in these early weeks they possibly set the stage for various otherwise avoidable breastfeeding issues. For right now I suggest, save the paci for emergencies and go ahead and nurse. If nursing is uncomfortable for you, I am sure you will find suggestions here. You will be nursing a lot of the time in these early weeks, it should be comfortable for you.

You are not harming your baby by nursing as much as baby wants. I promise. It's exactly the opposite, in fact. Relax and enjoy this precious time with your newborn, it is all gone so fast!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Spitting up that happens without evidence of pain = laundry issue. Don't worry about it, and don't feel like it's a problem that you need to solve.
    ^this.

sounds like you just have a happy spitter. you're not going to hurt your baby by feeding him too much. comfort nursing is a huge part of nursing in general.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Thank you all so much! You made me feel so much better. He did spit up several times today as well and I guess he is just a happy spitter as someone else said. I don't use the pacifier very often, not even daily, but sometimes it is helpful to us. Thanks again!

I'm going to be a "dissenting voice" and say that if he is willing to take a pacifier on occasion, give it to him. Just enough to keep him accepting of it. Only my first baby ever accepted a pacifier beyond the first couple weeks, and I wish my other two would have done the same. It's a little annoying when a young baby will lose the binky and can't put it back in his own mouth again, but as he gets older it becomes an invaluable tool for soothing through teething and the like. As long as you're not giving it to him in place of nursing when he really is hungry, you're not hurting anything, and you just may save a bit of your sanity.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Everyone feels differently about pacifier use, but I have done some research and saw that it helps with reflux. The sucking of the pacifier helps to move the esophagus so that the food moves down the digestive tract better. It works for my son. We offer it to him after feedings. When he was throwing up more, we offered it after he spits up. We keep our son up for 30 min after feeding, burp him for 2-5 min of that and halfway through or when he pulls off and sleeps at an incline. Also possibly talk to your ped about reflux meds if it is bad.