Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Late Start help

Default Late Start help

Hi Ladies. I am poting for my sister who has a 6 day old she just brought home from the nicu last night. She was unable to nurse him at all due to being in the nicu until just a few nights ago, he was receiving IV nutrition due to being born with shoulder dystocia (sp?) he came out in respiratory and cardiac failure and had to be rescusitated.

So he was discharged yesterday evening after being weaned off nutritional IV, subsequent with successful nursing sessions. He was circumsized yesterday as well. Partly I think he is sleepy due to the sugar water they often give infants when they get circumsized. But she is having difficulty getting him to nurse. Sometimes he latches and then pulls off and cries, sometimes he just cries with her nipple in his mouth. We have tried different positions, undressing him, cold stimuli, tickling his cheek... I know I had similar problems when my son was newborn, but I can't remember what I did to get through them. Tips would be helpful! Thanks ladies.

Default Re: Late Start help

If he was nursing successfully in the hospital and now is not able to nurse because he is too sleepy, I would get him checked out by a pediatrician right away. This isn't a regular healthy newborn you're talking about, but a child who was just in the NICU in cardiac failure and had to be resuscitated. Anything could be wrong...an infection comes to mind (from the circumcision or a previous IV?). Or best case, nothing is wrong, he's just a sleepy baby, and then you and his mom are both reassured to keep doing what you're doing. Either way if baby is too sleepy to nurse and can't be woken by the usual measures that sounds very concerning and should be checked out right away, in my opinion.

What may help with the latching on, then pulling off crying, would be if your sister expressed some milk by hand/pump, so when he latches on, he doesn't have to wait for a let down, and is instantly rewarded. Sorry, but that's the only advice my tired brain can think of at the moment!

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"

i agree with joshuas mommy. extra care and supervision should probably be happening since baby may have physical issues affecting health and nursing. can your sister see an ibclc? is her baby's pediatrician bfding knowledgable?

In any case, this is very early days and no reason to think she will not be able to breastfeed going forward. When their are issues with breastfeeding, Rule number one is feed the baby. this means supplement if baby cannot nurse effectively or frequently enough.
    rule number two is, protect milk supply, by nursing lots and also, if needed, pumping with a good pump-(hospital grade rental if possible.)
    rule number three is keep baby close-skin to skin or not, as mom is confortable, but baby needs frequent/near constant physical closeness to mom.
    rule number four is get help-hands on if possible.

waking sleepy newborn: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf
    feeding cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf
    feeding the non-latching baby http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ching_baby.pdf
    pumping log: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...umpigchart.pdf
    diaper log: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

I apologize, I should have clarified: he IS a normal and healthy baby... now. The docs are CONVINCED that the shock of how he had to be delivered was the only thing that caused him to need cpr, he has no other health problems now. He was unable to be held in the NICU because she was a gestational diabetic and they needed to give him sugar to wean his levels down, and he had an umbillical IV.

He is also not "too sleepy" to nurse. Most often times he is awake while she is trying to nurse him, he is just either not latching, or latching and then not suckling. We were using the cold to try to get him to suckle once he latched. Also, she did see a LC today. I don't know what was said because she is resting at the moment, but she said she feels much better and got a lot of questions answered. And she has her 1st pedi appointment and weight check tomorrow.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear. There is nothing wrong with his heart or lungs that caused him to need to be rescusitated. His shoulders were too big to come out with just her pushing, so his head came out and then the nurse had to jump on her belly to get him out, and the cord had also wrapped around his neck in that process. But his cord blood gasses were checked and there was no oxygen deprivation, and he also received IV antibiotics because he aspirated a little fluid during his delivery. But he has already had blood tests and cultures done and everything is a-ok.
    Last edited by @llli*bonzaii; August 20th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Also - she is always giving him a bottle of pumped milk if she is unsuccessful with nursing. Always after attempting to nurse. And I already had told her to try pumping until she lets down and then nursing so he gets the instant gratification to get the hang of it.

OK I am glad to hear baby is doing well.
    Since Most often times he is awake while she is trying to nurse him, he is just either not latching, or latching and then not suckling.
    that is a problem, as a baby who is awake and healthy but will not latch either can not latch or needs help being taught to latch. so good she saw an IBCLC, and hopefully that has given her a plan. I would be interested to know what the plan is after seeing the IBCLC.

I am pretty sure one of the things she was told to do was get some rest... as my mother told me she hasn't been sleeping much because she was worried about how much or how little he was nursing. And she still hasn't called so I'm assuming she is just waking to nurse then going back to sleep which she needs to do. But I will post an update as soon as I know.