Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden crying when nursing!

Default Sudden crying when nursing!

My 3 1/2 month old has started crying and screaming when I nurse a few times a day. This has been going on for a week now and I'm so frustrated. It's not every nursing session, just happens about 3 times during the daytime. He latches, unlatches, pulls away, cries, then repeat for about a minute until he just stops and continues very upset crying. I have supply as I hand expressed. I thought he was getting too much at first, so I hand expressed and then tried again after he had calmed down. He then just repeats the cycle if not nursing. I have to walk him around to calm him down, usually after 30-45 minutes he finally will nurse. He seems fine except for these sessions. Plenty of wet diapers and he poops once a day, gaining weight. I just don't know how to deal with this. I have noticed he may be beginning to teeth, as he is drooling and vigorously putting his hands in his mouth. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I'm hoping someone has some insight to what's going on and what I can do to help. He seems so frustrated! Thank you!

Default Re: Sudden crying when nursing!

You say walking him around calms him down, have you tried nursing in motion? Nursing while bouncing on a ball, swinging back and forth, walking, etc. That gets tiring pretty fast, but some moms have good luck with nursing in a sling or wrap or Ergo carrier. I couldn't really get the hang of nursing in a carrier so I would just walk and nurse around until he calmed enough so I could try to sit down.
    Alternately, it may be painful to nurse in certain positions. Maybe keep playing with positioning if he seems uncomfortable in a particular one. Teething could very well be beginning, teeth move around in the gums long before they break through. An ear infection could be the culprit as well, especially if one position is worse than others.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

Is the crying happening at any particular time of day? Mornings? Late afternoon/evenings?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO has just started doing this as well!
    I spoke to the pediatrician about it and as per normal she could only guess but gave me these suggestions.
    1/ She's not actually hungry but comfort sucks, then let down starts and she gets
    upset that there's milk.
    2/ Gas - feeding helps soothe initially but more milk increases the sore tummy due t o gas
    3/ Teething
    4/ Could be something else altogether that we will never know and will just pass.

ha ha .... so I still have no idea, my darling cries like she's in pain and legs start flailing like crazy so I'm going with gas - however she's also teething (as far as I can tell)

Sorry not much help*- but you're not alone!!