Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help...Nursing a baby with cleft palate

Default Re: Help...Nursing a baby with cleft palate

Oh ok I know what this is. I have one but know it as a sns. I nursed my baby girl for the first 8 days no formula and we actually took her to the er when she was one week old because I was concerned that she was not having enough wet and dirty diapers. The dr.s there said she was constipated and she was not dehydrated. I came to the conclusion she was getting my let down but thats it. She cannot suck hard enough to get anything else. . I have been feeding her once in the evening with the sns. It is nice to have her fall asleep at breast. Thanks for your help.

The lactaid is a different type of SNS, and it can be altered so you can do a whole feeding with it.

Another tool that might be useful is a nipple shield. It can help her get more in her mouth. But the issue is they can't suck well when they are little like this, and so they don't stimulate supply, so mom has to pump to maintain supply.

I have run into one mom who did get to nurse post op. She finished every feeding at the breast. She used a Haberman and then when baby was done, baby was put to the breast. I didn't find her until after I had stopped trying much and my baby was refusing. But if someone had told me that when he was 1-8 weeks old, I'd have kept doing that.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have used something called a sns. I use it in the evening. Sounds like th e same thing. I know she can at least get my let down when I brought her home from the hospital I was just nursing her. Until I realized she was not having enough wet or dirty diapers.She was never dehydrated and there was milk in the breast shield I was using .Now I am using the haberman and the sns in the evening.I have still been supplementing with formula. I give her breastmilk twice a day and have been pumping every two or three hours to build my supply. It is slowly increasing but not enough yet to just give her breastmilk.

You are doing a great job momma, any breastmilk that you are giving her is wonderful! Keep pumping and that supply will increase.

DO you have any support at home?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Even if you feed formula, put her to the breast when you are done. It will preserve the instinct and desire to nurse, and it helps her associate nursing with that warm, comfy feeling of being full. Use the SNS as much as you can.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you so much for your support and encouragement. I needed it today. My lactation consultant told me how to alter the sns so she can use it easier.I have been trying to get her to comfort nurse as much as possible. I will try after her feedings. I appreciate you.