Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to successfully breastfeed the 1st week?

Default How to successfully breastfeed the 1st week?

My first and second baby were exclusively breastfed the first 3 days at the hospital with no problems but as soon as we came home that night both screamed and cried and I was forced to give formula in a bottle. Does anyone know what I may have done wrong? I'd like to exclusively breastfeed this new baby due in December. Any suggestions?

Default Re: How to successfully breastfeed the 1st week?

You got freaked out Come home. Go to bed. Stay there. Nurse. They might be crying from the change in environment. Many babies cry. It's not from hunger.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It's really normal for babies to get a bit fussy right around the third day, before your milk comes in. The best thing to do is nurse nurse nurse. Usually your milk will come in shortly after and baby will be much happier. I thought there was a great website or resource on this (shared by JoEllen? or Susan?) but now I can't find it. Darn.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yep, JoEllen had an awesome handout on the second night fussies in one of the pregnant mama threads I think. Hopefully she'll pop in and share it. I was looking for it, too.

Just don't give up! My little guy refused to nurse, both at the hospital and at home. After a few days of screaming and weight loss, I started pumping. For a few days I had to supplement with a little formula, while pumping furiously to increase my milk supply. So for the first 5 weeks, I had to pump exclusively. These weeks were really tough, and I mean really tough, but one day I got him to nurse with a nipple shield. So he nursed with the shield for a few weeks. This was immensely simpler than pumping, but still frustrating for me. But 2 weeks ago, he finally latched on without the shield, and it's been wonderful!!! All the work was worth it!
    \\

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"

Oh mama, I agree with PP's. Hang in there, get help if baby is struggling to breastfeed (LLL leader, IBCLC, etc) and relax.

This article explains the increase in alertness around that discharge time: http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-.../second-night/
    Try not to focus on what happened in the past, give this new baby a chance. Every baby/mom pair works different!
    Punk-rock luvin mate to DH and mama to DD1 (born '03) , DD2 (born '08) and nursling DS (born '11) who survived infant botulism.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*inkedstar View Post
    Oh mama, I agree with PP's. Hang in there, get help if baby is struggling to breastfeed (LLL leader, IBCLC, etc) and relax.

This article explains the increase in alertness around that discharge time: http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-.../second-night/
    Try not to focus on what happened in the past, give this new baby a chance. Every baby/mom pair works different!
    I think that's the link I remembered!! I read it several times on Maggie's second and third days, just as a reminder that all was well.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

The best advice I got was to nurse on demand, and frequently. I just nursed her as often as she'd let me - it was about every hour for the first few days. Just expect the baby to be pretty much attached for the first week or so. It helped us to get a hang of latching quickly, helped my milk to come in quickly and plentifully, and it helped her to get all the colostrum she needed those first few days. The colostrum doesn't come out very quickly, so nursing frequently ensures baby is getting all she needs. It really helped with the transition from colostrum to mature milk, because she wasn't starving to begin with. I agree, those first few days/nights at home are hard, but just try and stick it out. Sleep whenever you can, enlist lots of help, and nurse a lot! Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great.

That Kellymom link is the same info I linked before. I use this PDF version in my breastfeeding classes.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

with PP's... nurse, nurse, nurse! And whatever you do don't listen to anyone who says 'you're nursing AGAIN?!' as that's what feeding on demand is all about. For the first couple of weeks both you and LO are getting to know each other and learning to bf together. Sleep when LO sleeps, get family/friends to help with everyday chores and your other kids and let your LO guide you - even if he/she isn't hungry putting LO to the breast will reasure them. For 9 months they're nice and cosy inside our tummies then blam! out they pop into a huge, noisy, smelly, new world - a lot to handle for such a liitle thing, no?

HTH. Good luck for the birth!
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches