Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need help weaning

Default I need help weaning

My son is 10 months old. I am very tierd of breast feeding. He thinks that he has to have my breast from about 1am to 9am. If I try to put him to sleep by himself he will cry non-stop. It seems that it is getting worse. I can no longer even leave his sight or he will start crying. I feel like I am going to lose my mind. He has never had a bottle and when I try to give him one he cries. My mom can get him to eat anything. If anyone has any advice that would be great

Default Re: I need help weaning

This is an age where separation anxiety can start and become very intense. My guess is that is what your son is going through, and weaning may actually intensify this emotion for him! He is just figuring out that he is separate from you, that he can get around, and although his independence is fun for him it is also very scary! I tried to find some links, and will keep looking. I just wanted to encourage you to take a hard look at your reasons for weaning, and know that if you choose to wean at this point, that you have done a wonderful thing for you lo by sticking it out this long!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

The pp is right on target! My 2 children went through this (and one of them was not bf) and the lo I watch has started as well (and her mother does not bf her). Every thing I read (including this month's "Baby Talk" magazine) says that children tend to experience separation anxiety between 9 and 10 months.

I remember how draining and exasperating this felt... It does get better. Hind sight is 20/20, I can see now that in some ways it was easier soothing my bf lo, than my non-bf lo whenever they experienced separation anxiety.

Hang in there, it does get easier!

knmama

We're right in the middle of separation anxiety right now too ... it's exhausting! We are our little one's whole world right now and provide so much comfort, security and warmth in nursing them.

Here's a great link with helpful tips on dealing with it. And this one.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Oh! I forgot to tell you that one thing that helped my bf lo was, doing lots of things with her in between nursings (singing, dancing, reading, holding her really, really close while softly singing in her ear). And also, feeding her favorite baby foods (to make sure she had a full tommy) and providing her with "lovies" (she loves her blanket!).

Keep in mind that you are the one that makes her feel secure... If you are super stressed, she will feel that and react accordingly, I realized that I was the one starting this vicious cycle and that when I improved my feelings my lo would as well.

Good luck!
    knmama

Question Re: I need help weaning

My son is 15 months old and weaning is worse than potty training. When I'm not at work he wants nurse the entire time that I'm at home. I've been expressing milk to slow down production so to speal but he doesn't want to give nursing up. Even at night he throws these horrible fits and would rather be on the breast all night if its possible. I don't know what else to do, I take him out to the playground and out shopping so that he can be distracted but as soon as we get home he wants to nurse. Even when my husband takes him into another room, he will throw these fits and scream until he sees my face again... Ayudame....

Hi, SC13--Sounds like you're a tired mommy! A couple of questions.......is it mainly the nighttime feedings that are bothering you? I don't know how determined you are to stop bf altogether, but have you considered just night weaning? My ds also would never take a bottle (he went straight to a cup) and also liked to night-feed. While it wasn't easy for us, we decided to night wean first.

I started with delaying his first night feeding after he had gone to sleep. For example, if he was normally waking at 1 to feed, I'd put that first feeding off for as long as possible, trying to get him to go back to sleep. My son was kind of regimented, where he would feed around 1 a.m., and then again around 5 a.m. I kind of cut out that first feeding, and worked on his getting-back-to-sleep-on-his-own skills. Once I decided that I wouldn't feed him, I stuck to my guns. Sure, I rocked him, walked him, sang to him, whatever, to soothe him. In the end, he cried, and it was a rough couple of days.

I will say, though, that night weaning him was the best thing I did. He slept through the night for the first time since birth (at 13 months), and it made the rest of the weaning process MUCH easier, since he had learned how to get himself back to sleep, the naptime and before bed feedings were a snap to give up when it was time.

I also did the entire weaning process over the course of many months. It gave us all time to adjust slowly, and I only dropped a feeding when I felt we were both ready. After night weaning, I actually second guessed whether or not I was ready to stop the daytime feedings. You might, too.

Either way, good luck to you. Only you can decide when it's right for you to totally wean, but maybe you'll decide that once you have some good shut-eye, that you may not want to wean completely.

Lisa