Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freezer for breast milk

Default Freezer for breast milk

Can anyone recommend a small but efficient freezer to store breast milk? My stash is starting to take over my regular freezer and we need to get another one. I've seen small freezers (size of a college refrigerator) but worry they aren't as efficient as a deep freezer. Suggestions?
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.
    Sydney and like crazy while holding down a busy full time job!

Default Re: Freezer for breast milk

if it were me, i would get a freezer i knew i'd use after the 1 year or so of milk. and remember that it won't stay good in there forever, anyway, so consider cutting down your stash i'd probably get a small standalone, top-open freezer.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I know it won't stay good forever...just need the 3-6 month option of storing. My regular freezer is small to begin with and 100 ounces is taking up about half. The problem is, with my first daughter we bought a top opening deep freezer so we could use it after we were done storing milk. It broke a year and a half after purchase. So I still need options for round two!
    Proud Mama of Madeline Jade 7/31/09 and Sydney Anna 6/04/12. Married to My sweetie since 2000.

wow, only a year and a half? was it still under warranty? i thought those things were supposed to last a decade or more, like refrigerators?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Warranty was a year; it broke right after thankfully not with my milk in it

we are having the same problem. we bought a 12 cubic foot Kenmore upright from sears. Sears has chest freezers for $150+ and uprights for $300+ (and they often usually have good promotions, rebates etc). we considered the chest freezer, but they are so inconvenient for other uses (everything piled up on top of each other, having to sift around to find stuff) so we went the upright route. a little more expensive but hopefully more multi-purpose for other foods. alternately, check craigslist -- there were a lot of freezers for sale on our local CL, a bit hit or miss as far as age and condition goes, but probably very affordable options.

Most moms don't need to store that much. Why are you saving that much? If you aren't EPing, you really only need a bit of milk, like just a few days', worth, and honestly, even an EPing mom probably doesn't need that much.

We had an upright freezer that I used, and I did fill it with a very specific goal in mind. I think it is a Whirlpool.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I appreciate everyone's concern for how much I'm freezing, but this is my second time around so I am confident in what I'm doing. Really the question is about freezers because even if you are only saving 50-100 ounces (which is what I do as work may limit me to pumping) you still need room for the entire familiy's freezer foods too. So any other advice on freezers would be great. We are also looking in the less expensive side too. Thanks.
    Last edited by @llli*klb1977; August 11th, 2012 at 06:06 AM.

I just bought this for my extra milk and all the frozen casseroles I can't stop making. It was $159.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_75729-33112-...RL=&facetInfo=
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135