Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrush? Growth Spurt? Help!

Default Thrush? Growth Spurt? Help!

I am struggling with a lot of pain bfeeding. My breasts have a red ring around them, and when I was feeding last night my right breast was extremely itchy and uncomfortable to the point where I had to stop feeding and my husband fed my baby some expressed milk. My baby will be 4 weeks tomorrow, so I am not sure if he is going through a growth spurt and my breasts are sore because of that? He has been feeding every 2 hours today (usually feeds between 3-4 hours normally) and you would think that I am starving him when he is ready to latch on. I use a nipple shield because I have flat nipples and it is the only way that we can bfeed with him latching. I have minimal pain when latching and it goes away (otherwise I take him off and have him latch on again.) I am also taking antibiotics for mastitis since July 31st.

Can anyone guide me on how to help with this? I felt like we hit rock bottom with bfeeding when I came down with the mastitis, but this is getting to the point where I absolutely hate and dread bfeeding my son. Another thing - when I look into my son's mouth - he does not have any white patches in there (he has a milk mark towards the back of his mouth - but it comes and goes with feeding) but he also does appear to have a diaper rash. Our Pediatrician over the phone prescribe Nystatin - but my husband is convinced that it's not thrush and that it has to be something wrong with me. I hope that this gives enough information to help me. I would love any guidance on how to help us feel better so we can continue bfeeding.

Default Re: Thrush? Growth Spurt? Help!

You've been through a lot already momma! Way to go so far! It def sounds like thrush. You need to go to a Dr. Thrush doesn't always appear as white patches on the mouth. They can be on the tongue or on the lips, inside of the mouth and so on. Babies usually hit a growth spurt b/t 4-6 weeks or so, the frequent feeds my indeed be a growth spurt. My son would literally have growth spurts that would last from a few weeks to a month! Every baby is different, but you really need to see a Dr. about the possible thrush.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

and remember - both mama & baby need to be treated for thrush, even if one is asymptomatic, or you'll keep passing it back & forth. hang in there!!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I called my Dr. today and they prescribed a cream - but I have found out that since it is a compound medication the pharmacy will not be able to have it ready until Tuesday! We have started the Nystatin with my son so I am hoping that there will be some sort of relief from that before Tuesday. My last feeding was uncomfortable and you would swear he has never eaten before the way he was acting. I am hoping that this is a growth spurt and that we are almost done with this. Things will get better right? I keep hearing "get through week 1 ... then I hear get through week 2 ..." I am just wrapping up week 4 and I am starting to worry about if I am ever going to enjoy breastfeeding with all the issues and complications I have had on the way. My husband had the conversation with me tonight about moving to bottle feeding/formula as he has seen the stress and exhaustion that this has put on me - especially when I am home by myself with the baby during the day.

I do appreciate the advice and help from others - it does bring some light to this as I do not have anyone close to me that can relate to the pain/struggles I have been going through. I have friends and family that were blessed with great experiences with breastfeeding!

I'm right there with you- my second baby is four weeks and we have thrush. It hurts so bad! I had it with my first as well but I had forgotten how painful it is! But since I've been through this before, I know it will get better. While you are waiting for your pharmacy to mix the cream, can you try one of the otc methods of treatment? I've gotten some relief using an antifungal cream like clotraminazole. I'm on my phone so I can't link but someone posted a link to a treatment using grapefruit seed extract on a thread I started yesterday. I'll come back and link.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hang in there! You've done so well so far and yes, it DOES get better. Unfortunately you've hit a couple of hard hurdles, but once these are treated you should be on your way to a good BF experience! And as for the growth spurts? 3wks, 6wks, 3mnths, 6mnths (this is only a general guide, as PP said each baby is differenct and some can can last a few days others a week!).
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

Oh right! I forgot to come back with that link for treating thrush with GSE - this is the approach I am using now, and I have to say, it isn't cured yet, but it's much better after a day of this. http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you for the GSE tip -- I would love if you kept me posted on how it is going. I went to my local pharmacy to ask about OTC medications and this approach - and the pharmacist would not recommend anything other than the prescription that my Dr. wrote. If it is working for you I will definitely have to get some. So far we have started my son on the Nystatin and (knock on wood) bfeeding has been going ok today! I am also almost done with my antibiotic for the mastitis tomorrow so I am hoping that will also help this. I also changed our position from the football hold to the crossover which seems to be easier on my little man with the My Brest Friend pillow.

I am taking an optimistic approach - and it is definitely with the help of supporters on here! It is a breath of fresh air to have others who have great advice and support with this.

The GSE is definitely working! My pain is MUCH improved today. I'm not cured yet, but it's a lot better.

I'm not surprised your pharmacist deferred to your doctor - don't they always? Obviously this is your call to make, but I've successfully treated thrush with OTC remedies several times.

Are you taking probiotics? I'd start that up as soon as you finish your antibiotics. I'm also giving my baby infant probiotics (you can buy them at a natural foods store). I would recommend using priobiotics in ADDITION to any other remedy - the medical treatments kill the yeast, and the probiotics reestablish the healthy flora that is what normally keeps yeast at bay.

You can call me JoMo!

I am glad to hear that you are feeling better -! I am going to have to venture out to get some GSE. I will have to get some probiotics as well - thanks for the tip.

Another crazy question -- I have been reading about sterilizing pumping equipment - and even as far as throwing away pacifiers after the thrush is gone and start over. Is this true? I have pumped as well during this time to help with the comfort - is this safe to freeze if we do not use the milk in the next day? Or will that bring back the thrush if I give it to my son at a later time?