Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Red spot on breast, What to do??

Default Red spot on breast, What to do??

I woke up this morning and saw a huge red spot on my right breast. I know that it is a plugged duct that happened over night. My DD went 8 hours in between feedings last night and I'm sure that is why. This morning I massaged the spot a lot in the shower and have changed nursing positions until it is better. I was wondering what else I should do and how long it will be red for. I'm really afraid of getting mastitis again!! Also, do I start with this side every nursing session to help??? Thank you!

Default Re: Red spot on breast, What to do??

That sounds nasty and like it's on the threshold of turning into mastitis. I would call your doctor and see if you can get a scrip for antibiotics sent in- if this worsens, you may want them and then have a hard time getting them over the weekend.

Other things to do:
    - avoid bras, particularly underwires
    - massage, heat
    - start every nursing session on that side
    - stay alert for mastitis symptoms (increased redness, pain, fever, chills, aches, nasty discharge)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Get those antibiotics just in case - if you start to feel like you have the flu or get a high (above 102) fever, take them.

I'd probably add pumping that side to your routine if you haven't already. You really need to keep that breast as empty as possible. I try to get in a hot bath (I add salt to the water) and massage the heck out of the breast, until the milk is flowing freely. You can also do this by submerging your breast in a bowl of hot salt water if you don't have the time for a bath. Wet heat is the best.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

For me vibration got my plugged duct better. I used the back end of my sonic care toothbrush. It helped with pain too.

This site helped too: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; August 11th, 2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: fixed link
    Proud Momma
    DD 2-1-01 BF for 16 months
    DS 1-9-10 BF for only 4 months due to low milk supply and working graveyard
    DD 4-28-12 Pumping 5X a day at work, Loving BFing