Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help, having doubts and second guessing things!

Default Re: Please help, having doubts and second guessing things!

I second mOmmal with the diaphragm! Condoms didn't work well for us either. The biggest downside I've found is it's a little messy afterward.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Look into a cervical cap.....like adiaphram but smaller less mess and can be left in for up to 24 hours.

Way too lazy for formula

lol I like that last one. I have an appt for a pap smear in 2 weeks so I will talk to my gyno about that.

On the other hand my LC wants to see my daughter today for another weight check. she didn't seem to happy about not supplementing with formula. Any suggestions on how I can approach this topic without it turning into an argument? I am no doctor but I trust my instincts that my daughter is growing fine. I am just scared to think that I am not providing enough milk for her. I have been feeding her every 3 hours or so and my breasts definitely have a better supply now that I stopped BC and am taking fenugreek capsules. I feel in my gut that I am producing enough but I am worried that the numbers on the scale will show something different. And then what? Will she have to go for blood work? Just the unknown is freaking me out. I will post on here later to update for anyone who has helped me. Fingers crossed.

I took another quick look at the chart: http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif and I just don't understand why your LC is so concerned. Your LO was born at around the 50th %ile for weight, and continues to be more or less around the 50th %ile. What's the big deal? She's not falling off the charts.

Is the LC and IBCLC, or just a nurse at the doc's office?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

According to their charts she was 65 percent in weight she dropped to 35 percent in weight and then was around 25 to 35 percent in weight. She is considered a lactation consultant also her name tag states something different but I am not sure off hand. I just posted a new thread about my milk supply issues. I'm hoping I can get some feedback on it.

You might want to give a call and ask what charts they're using. The old CDC charts developed using data from mostly white, mostly formula-fed babies, or the new WHO charts for breastfed babies? There's a huge difference. On the CDC charts, breastfed babies often appear to gain weight "too fast" as newborns and then "too slow" as they get into the second half of their first year. A drop in percentiles at around 4 months is very typical of breastfed babies, as they devote increasing numbers of calories to motion (reaching, rolling, kicking, pre-crawling) and fewer to fat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't think that you are having any supply issues. But before you panic about that and start supplementing with formula, why don't you try nursing her more often than you are now? You said in another thread that your baby sucks her thumb a bunch at night. It's great for you to get longer blocks of sleep, but that is a missed opportunity to get more milk in her. Also, your supply can be helped greatly by nursing at night. I am not sure if she sleeps through the night - but if she does and you are worried about her weight gain, then you should feed her at night.

But, I do agree with mommal - I don't think anything is wrong with your baby.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months