Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mold! So upset!!

Default Mold! So upset!!

I pump at work and make tons of milk in a morning pump but hardly any in the afternoon. The morning pump is usually enough for the next day. This morning I pumped 14 ounces! As I was putting away the pump parts, I saw that the yellow part of the pump thing (it's a Medela- the part that the membrane goes on so it definitely touches milk) had mold in it. Like thick nasty black mold. Obviously I'm going to have to throw this milk away (which makes me cry) but then I think that my baby has been drinking milk with mold in it for who knows how long (makes me cry even more). I'm so upset. What do I do?

Default Re: Mold! So upset!!

First of all, stop kicking yourself. The human digestive system is pretty tough, even in a baby. It's evolved to handle all sorts of nasty stuff, that's one reason why there's acid in it. So I really doubt that your LO will be harmed by this.

Just replace the parts, take a deep breath, and continue on. And maybe call Medela? If these parts are so vulnerable to mold or mildew, they should make their customers aware.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Just replace the parts, take a deep breath, and continue on. And maybe call Medela? If these parts are so vulnerable to mold or mildew, they should make their customers aware.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

The same thing happened to me w/my medela.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. When I first started pumping I didn't realize I was supposed to wash the membranes all the time and they got milk gunk in them. Then I started washing them a few times a day and there wasn't a problem. But the part that the membrane goes against? I guess I don't know how you're supposed to prevent that other than keeping the membranes clean and dry by cleaning after you pump. Definitely contact Medela.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I took apart and washed and sterilized all of those parts regularly, having discovered first hand how nasty they can get if you don't.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Medela gets nasty quick. I had a couple mold episodes myself. Yuck.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!