Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush plus clogged duct? OOOOWWWWW.

Default Thrush plus clogged duct? OOOOWWWWW.

Well, I sorted out Maggie's tongue tie, got her gaining weight, and got her through a head cold, and now I'm pretty sure I have thrush at least, and maybe a clogged duct and the first signs of mastitis too? WHYYYYYYYYY. It hurts so bad. Nursing is incredibly painful, my whole left breast is painful and sore, and my let downs send me through the roof. I had forgotten how incredibly painful this stuff can be! I know the drill (although, actually, could someone send me a link about how to use GSE?). But I'm just so bummed out and uncomfortable right now. I can't even burp Maggie or hold her on that side of my body, this breast is so incredibly painful.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: Thrush plus clogged duct? OOOOWWWWW.

That degree of pain really sounds like either a clogged duct or mastitis to me. Very gentle . How are you otherwise feeling? Fever or aches? Do you feel engorged? If you think it is mastitis I would call your Dr. ASAP. If it is a clog I'm sure you know the routine. Long hot showers and massage the area as aggressively as you can towards the nipple.

No fever or aches and pains ('cept in my boob!) so no mastitis quite yet. If I have a clog it's a deep one. I've been doing hot wet compresses, baths and massage. And my nipples are also hot pink, excrucuatingly painful, and thrushy.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Sorry Mama!! My 6 week and I are going through thrush again... I thought we got rid of it, but it's BAAAACK!!

Anyway, here ya go: http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

Good luck!
    I'm & & & my LO born 6/5/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*goldiecar View Post
    Thank you, that link is awesome!

You can call me JoMo!

I started applying some antifungal cream after nursings last night and it already feels a bit better this morning, so I'm thinking it's definitely thrush. It tricked me because it wasn't really itchy/burny, and because the pain was so intense and so deep in the breast as well as on the surface - not what I associate with thrush, but I think that must be it. Starting a serious probiotic/GSE regimen now.

You can call me JoMo!