Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sensa is it safe?

Default Sensa is it safe?

Can any La Leche leader tell me if Sensa the weight loss product that contains tastants that you sprinkle on your food is safe while breastfeeding? I am in no way shape or form trying to drastically reduce my calories but am looking for something to help me lose a little weight. I am currently 200lbs and 5'3 tall. I am 25 years old, and am a gastric lap band patient (very different from gastric bypass-no malabsorption problems)

I asked my LC at my office and she suggested not to reduce calories at this time but I am not looking for advice I am looking for a clear yes or no answer as to whether or not Sensa passes through breast milk and if there is a concern with the ingredients in Sensa.

this is from the website.

No stimulants
    No fat blockers
    No diuretics
    No pills
    No drugs

No food restrictions
    No calorie counting
    No weigh-ins or meetings
    No skipping meals or fasting
    No pre-packaged meals

No drastic lifestyle changes
    No intense cravings
    No jittery side effects
    No dangerous "yo-yo" effect
    No mood swings

SENSA® contains Maltodextrin (Derived from Corn from the USA), Tricalcium Phosphate, Silica, Natural and Artificial Flavors. SENSA® also contains Soy and Milk ingredients. SENSA® is sodium-free, sugar-free, calorie free, and there are no stimulants, drugs or MSG.

Default Re: Sensa is it safe?

I would contact infantrisk and see what they say:
    We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519.
    mama to a little raccoon, born under the full moon, Nov '11

The ingredients they list are things that are added to a lot of processed foods. That said, I would assume everything you take in gets into your breastmilk in some form or another (considering our breastmilk contains traces of chemicals from carpeting, plastics, jet fuel, pesticides, and all manner of things we don't even EAT). So I would be really careful with anything that is meant to affect your sense of when you are full.

It may not be "risky" to the baby but that doesn't mean the baby should have it or that it's "good"

And of course.... things that sound too good to be true often are.

(also, maltodextrin acts very similarly to MSG... just not very good for you.)
    Last edited by @llli*goldentoes; August 15th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.

I know how it feels to need to lose weight while breastfeeding.
    I can not sing the praises high enough for good old fashioned weight watchers.
    they helped me lose weight after dd2 and a c/sec.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I know that you said you don't want any advice, but that doesn't sound very safe or good for you. If you could add a 30 minute walk to your day - or even 15 minutes! - with your baby, that will help you lose a little bit of weight. I have lost almost 40 pounds over the last 9 months by exercising and watching my calories - I didn't like the weight watchers format, but others really seem to - and they have an adjustment for nursing mothers - but you could also do it for free just by keeping a food log and counting your calories.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

You could try calling InfantRisk like rakoonz suggested. I can't find anything about Sensa or the individual ingredients in the MedsMilk database, but they may have other sources.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I doubt any of the ingredients you listed would be a cause for alarm (well, unless you're alarmed by food additives in general, which many around here are):

- Maltodextrin sounds like it's basically highly processed corn starch, and it's used in many food products.

- Tricalcium phosphate is used as an anti-caking agent in various powdered products, and is sometimes used to fortify foods with calcium (like orange juice).

- Silica is... sand? It's used as an anti-caking agent too, apparently, in things like powdered spices and drink mixes.

So it sounds like Sensa would be as safe to use while breastfeeding as other processed foods like, say, Tang or bouillon cubes, assuming you're not consuming large quantities of it.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

It does sound like there are a lot of preservatives...how in the heck are these people losing weight with just preservatives? I have heard a lot of good results with Sensa. I am also a gastric lap band patient who lost 65lbs and has gained 50lbs when I was pregnant and have lost 25lbs of that so far. I am around 204lbs and am only 5'3. I am currently doing Tony Horton 10 minute trainer and am logging my calories in on Myfitnesspal.com so I am definitely attempting to lose weight on my own..I just find myself eating more than I should (it's all in my head really) and being a gastric lap band patient my portions should be considerably smaller but have struggled with restriction ever since getting pregnant, or should I say lack of restriction. I did try Sensa a few years ago but didn't give it enough time to actually start working before I returned it. Seems to me like it is basically preservatives which is what most of us eat in our foods anyway unless we are shopping for whole foods only, which in my case is not every meal.
    Anyway, thanks for the answers. I would call Sensa but they would recommend me to speak with a doctor but like I said my LC didn't give me a clear answer. All she mentioned was to not drastically cut out my calories, and obviously I am aware of what I am consuming since I log my calories on the computer..anywhere from 1600-1700 calories per day.

If you are really only eating 1600 to 1700 calories per day, you will lose weight. You need about 2400 calories to maintain your current weight and then another 400ish since you are exclusively breastfeeding, which puts you around 2800 calories - just for maintenance. You should be losing a pound or more a week if you are really only eating 1700 calories per day. Losing weight much faster is not good for you. I'm 5'3" too, so I can understand how you are feeling at that weight. But the weight will come off. And where are the results you've heard of for Sensa? Commercials? I think you're looking for a quick fix and they don't really exist. Stick to watching your portion sizes mama, and the weight will come of in a healthy sustainable way.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months