Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP-might not have enough milk pumped in time

Default HELP-might not have enough milk pumped in time

Greetings-I am so grateful to have this community to turn to.
    I feel like a complete jackass. I go back to work in 4 days and only just started pumping. I thought I had another week before returning. I realize it still might not have been enough time to start storing. My first week will be three shifts- 17 hours. So far I've only got 7 oz. How is one supposed to schedule themselves to pump when feeding a 6 week old who is fed on demand-sometimes hourly to 2 hours? I am using a Hygeia Enjoye pump.
    Might I need to resort to formula while I build up a supply? My LO will only be bottlefed during my 6 1/2 hour work shifts.
    Please tell me there is a way this will work out.

Default Re: HELP-might not have enough milk pumped in time

Your lo should only need 1-1.5 oz of milk per hour you are away so you just about have enough for your first day back. Then, you can just pump at work and bring home and refrigerate for the next day.
    My sweet little Dylan was born 8/24/11.

Thank you for a quick response! I only tried pumping twice in one day-accumulating 6 oz. I had stopped pumping when milk stopped flowing and I feared not having enough for the next feeding. Does one need to wait to breastfeed after pumping? In an effort to have a little extra than barely enough stocked up- would anyone recommend pumping every X hours?

Right, just take it day by day. If you nurse right before you leave and when you return, LO may only take 5-6 oz so you are good! Just pump 2-3 x that first day for milk the following day.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

You can probably get enough for your first work day plus by adding one pumping a day until you work. Best times for me were either in the morning (best supply) , or a little after the first night feeding ( the one after which you expect your little one to sleep the longest). In an 8 hour work day two breaks plus a lunch pump are enough to get milk for the next day and then some.

To build up a stash you can either pump during the day as pp mentioned or pump for 10 mins or so after each time you nurse. The latter builds your stash slowly oz by oz
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*razzia View Post
    Thank you for a quick response! I only tried pumping twice in one day-accumulating 6 oz. I had stopped pumping when milk stopped flowing and I feared not having enough for the next feeding. Does one need to wait to breastfeed after pumping? In an effort to have a little extra than barely enough stocked up- would anyone recommend pumping every X hours?
    Your breast never stops making milk. You can nurse immediately after pumping and your baby will still get milk. It might flow a little slower than normal and baby might get a little frustrated in the beginning, but keep going and the milk will come. You will always have enough for the next feeding, that is not an issue.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Remember, every ounce you express is precious! 1 oz may not look like a lot, but put three of those 1 oz servings together and you have yourself a bottle

I've found my manual to be super handy (haha no pun intended!) for getting any little extras. No plugs, no 'elaborate' set-up, no need to stay stationary. With the manual I can plop down DS on his play mat and sit right next to him to keep him company, hold him in my lap with one arm, heck I've even used it while wearing him!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]