Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: questions on block feeding specifics

Default questions on block feeding specifics

Hi. I have a 9 week old. I'm dealing with an oversupply issue. I had it tamed for almost 2 weeks but then decided to pump in the am for a week to get a stash and I'm back to square 1. I'm trying to fix it quicker this time bc I recognized it as.soon as.it started back up. Here are my questions/concerns...

1.I had to do 6-8 hour blocks last time bc my daughter fed for only 7-10 min at a time....wasn't coming close to emptying breast. Is that what I'm aiming for? 'emptying' each breast? If I block for 3 hours I know she isn't even putting a dent in my supply. Am I thinking about it corrrectly? Is that how I determine when to switch sides? Just want to have a plan laid out.

2. Now that she's sleeping closer to 6 or 7 hours at night does that mean I have to wake her up?! I really don't want to and am hoping some of you havent had to if you've been there

3. I only pumped for a week and was in line with my blocks....only pumped one side. Now that I stopped I'm nervous about going back to work in 3 weeks and having a major problem with pumping several times a day.

I'm just stressed! Any advice if you've been there is appreciated

Default Re: questions on block feeding specifics

No, you are aiming to keep your breasts slightly full to signal to make less milk to control your supply.

If her weights and poops and wets are normal, let her sleep. She will switch it up before you know it.

Some moms with OS find they do Ok if they pump fewer sessions or more frequent but not to empty.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

so its inevitable that she will be getting basically all foremilk until it levels out? just making sure i understand. I thought the side that shes not feeding on is the side thats suppossed to be signaling my body to stop producing. thanks for your help!

Don't worry about the foremilk. It's really just milk- it contains everything a baby needs to grow and thrive, provided she gets enough of it. The only problem with the so-called foremilk is that it contains an abundance of lactose (milk sugar) and that can make a baby gassy and give her green poops. But those are not big problems in the long run!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Her weight is good. Poops are terribly Gassy and green. It's not an allergy as this occurred one week after I started pumping for a supply again. She grunts nonstop now. I know I need to reduce supply. This isn't working.

Don't get discouraged! Block feeding takes a while to make a dent in a super-abundant supply, and it's quite common for it to come roaring back after growth spurts or after mom starts pumping. Think of managing oversupply as a "two steps forward, one step back" process.

Please don't let this stress you out! I know it's really hard to see your return to work looming, and to have this problem still unresolved. But you're giving your LO an amazing gift, and I promise that things will get better.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The block feeding actually gets them more hindmilk because you are feeding on demand over and over on the same side, and the fats come off faster from the wall of the ducts. My directly breastfed babes grew faster than my EP fed baby; yes, he had a cleft, but we solved his feeding issues quickly, but he was never as heavy as my directly fed babies, and I think it's because he didn't get the benefit of block feeding

It does work. Give it time.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!