Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to give BM to toddler while mom's at work?

Default How to give BM to toddler while mom's at work?

My daughter is 19 months and she gets BM 3x a day. I nurse her in the morning and before bed. However, she is with her grandpa during the day while I work, so she gets a bottle of BM with him at naptime. My question is, is it ok for her to still take a bottle? She drinks other liquids out of cups, but I had heard or read somewhere that BM should only be given in a bottle- because the bottle best mimics the breast and gives the most comfort. Anyone dealt with this? Any info or thoughts grealty appreciated.

Default Re: How to give BM to toddler while mom's at work?

I don't think you should feel like you have to give breast milk in a bottle at this age, many toddlers take BM from sippies with no problems. I believe the general recommendation is to wean off the bottle around age one, though it's not a set in stone rule. Lots of kids take bottles longer. I'd say do what works for you unless you feel it's causing problems. If she'll take BM from a sippy, let her. If a bottle is the only way to get BM in her when you're not there, don't feel bad about using it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree, i see no reason why breastmilk should only be given in a bottle, at any age...

I assume the concern is the toddler might stop wanting to nurse, but I really do not see that as a risk. If your toddler still enjoys nursing, that will keep her interested in nursing no matter how she gets breastmilk when you are not there. I doubt she finds bottles very similar to nursing.

As far as if it is ok to still give bottles, I really do not know much about it but, i do know one concern when giving bottles at night or naps is tooth decay. Even though breastmik in bottles may(?) be less risky than cow milk or juice in bottles, and while nursing a toddler to sleep is ok, if baby falls asleep with a bottle in her mouth the milk may well pool around the teeth increasing risk of cavities. If she wants to suck on a bottle to get to sleep, maybe a bottle of water? I just saw this idea for water on 'The Doctors'...but that was for a baby...

i don't know that it's NOT okay to give her a bottle, but at 19mos, i would probably go ahead and try a sippy cup, just to see if she will take it that way. if she refuses/wants the bottle, then give the bottle.
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

My Daugther never liked the sippy bottles but she likes to drink with a straw... maybe can work for your LO

My 23 month old takes a bottle for EBM and a straw cup or just regular cup for water or cows milk.
    We don't give her juice.
    Works just fine for us, so we had no cause to change it.
    It's not like giving her EBM in a bottle has stunted her development in any way.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

I second Wilsonduo97. We use a bottle only when I work, so 2 bottles per week. Our pedi said it isn't a problem since it is so infrequent. My 22- mo LO takes a cup for water ( doesn't do juice or non-human milks) & we decided switching from bottle to cup with milk might be more stressful than letting things be.