Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thawed breastmilk looks funky...

Default Thawed breastmilk looks funky...

I've thawed out some of my BM but it looks funky, there are clumps in it that won't dissolve when I try to mix it up .... Should it be separated like that without mixing back together???

TIA
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Thawed breastmilk looks funky...

I think that's pretty normal. I always found there was some fat that clung to the sides of the bottles and wouldn't mix back in, and some clumps in the milk even after mixing.

I think the fact that our milk looks so different from the cow's milk we buy at the store throws a lot of moms for a loop, because we initially expect our milk to look like cow milk. But remember that cow's milk is filtered, pasteurized, and homogenized before we see it. Milk straight from the cow is full of clumps.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Totally normal
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks. I was worried about all the milk I've stashed. We've just been playing with it though, I just didn't want to make her sick. Thanks again.
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still