Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relief!

Default Relief!

I have been struggling with breast feeding my 4 week old from the start (NICU stay, unable to latch, sore cracked nipples... You name it)... I was having awful pain all the time and became upset when he woke to eat. Honestly I would have given birth a 100 times before breast feeding. I was ready to quit.

I got professional help, solving the latch issue, but the pain continued. I assumed it was due to his small size and I would have to deal.

When it began to feel like razor blades deep in my breast, I had enough. I called my doc and it turns out my LC was there! We talked, and she still thought bad latch, but after my urging agreed it may be thrush, even tho neither I nor baby had symptoms besides my pain....

2 days later, after treatment, I have had my first pain free nursing session, ever!! I am so happy!! I persevered somehow.

Girls, trust you gut!! Took 3 weeks, but I did and it finally paid off.

Default Re: Relief!

That's wonderful! I'm so glad you figured out what the problem was. Is baby being treated as well? That's the gold standard of treatment, since as you experienced it's quite common for one member of the nursing pair to be asymptomatic though both are infected. And if baby isn't treated, there's a chance the baby will reinfect you after you're cured- and then you're back to square one!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We went to his doc too, she saw no symptoms in him, so does not wish to treat.... I thought the same, but will let it go this time. If it returnd, we will be talking to her again....

So glad to hear you are nursing pain free!

Yeast is so persistent and it can be difficult to get rid of. If I were you I'd push for treating baby along with you. And it would be worth it to make the effort now to rid it from your environment as well- washing sheets and bras and towels and things like that in hot water with vinegar or bleach, sterilizing pacifiers and pump/bottle parts if you use them. Here is the LLL fact sheet on dealing with thrush. Lots of great info there.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

[QUOTE=@llli*love2knit;1282829]Honestly I would have given birth a 100 times before breast feeding. I was ready to quit.

I know exactly what you mean - I would gladly give birth to my son everyday for the past 4 weeks than breast feed! It sounds like you are on the right track! I am thinking we may have thrush as well and I am going to consult my physician to see if they can help me. I wish you the best of luck - hang in there!