Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PLEASE help, he's refusing the breast

Unhappy PLEASE help, he's refusing the breast

My one-week-old son is refusing to nurse from the breast. I had very sore and bleeding nipples so I pumped for a few days and fed him breastmilk from the bottle as that was easier on my breasts. But now he doesn't want to eat from the breast and I'm very worried I ruined it by giving him the bottle too early. How can I get him back to the breast???

Plus I'm all hormonal so I'm crying nonstop over this.

Default Re: PLEASE help, he's refusing the breast

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

When you have a baby on a nursing strike, you can't force him to nurse, so you want to gently lure him back to the breast. This link outlines the various techniques for doing so: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are supposed to be particularly helpful.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: PLEASE help, he's refusing the breast

Hi, congratulations! Try to take deep breaths... I had some feeding issues with my son (now 4yo) and he eventually refused the breast, too. I was crying ALL THE TIME - it was like a movie, both of us sobbing on the couch, boobs hanging out. But the crying doesn't do either of you any good, so as much as you can, try to relax. When you're not upset come up with something (a song, counting to ten, etc) to do when you are feeling overwhelmed.

As for the feeding issue itself, I would try to find a LC to help you with exploring your options. I've heard great things about (I forgot what it's called) the feeding tubes you put into their mouths while they're at the breast so they get a faster flow to coax them back. I never tried that with my son because it was way too intimidating for me and I couldn't afford a LC at that time. I wish I had tried and it's definitely something to look into!

Good luck and remember that no matter what happens your baby will get the nutrients it needs and grow! And, food is only one of the things your baby needs from you! You are a good mama whether or not you are successful at breastfeeding.
    Mama to
    O - 7/10/08
    and
    J - 6/25/12