Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mami, this is an agonizing way to get my lechita

Angry Mami, this is an agonizing way to get my lechita

I have to go to work for the first time this Tuesday, then back to 5 days a week starting the 23rd. So we've been storing some bottles and trying to feed her a bottle every now and then. The bottle thing is not going well. It turns into a 1-hour process something like this:

Cry
    Suck
    Spit
    Fart
    Suck suck
    Throw up
    Suck
    Cry
    Suck
    Scream
    Fart
    Sleep
    Fuss
    Suck suck suck
    Spit
    Suck suck
    Fart
    Cry
    Hiccup
    Burp
    Suck
    Throw up
    Give up

She eventually will take about 2-2.5 oz in a 1.5-hour stretch. Normally takes at least 3 oz (I'm guessing from pump output) in 20 minutes from the breast every 3 hours. Any advice to make this easier? Just tell the sitter to wait, she'll take it if she's hungry enough?

TIA
    Had Bradley wanderbaby #1 on 5/9/09, bf 10 months before let-down problems drove us both crazy and we had to stop. Wanderbaby #2 born 6/9/12 (in a wheelchair - we made it to the hospital with 4 minutes to spare!).
    Currently due 5/13 and at work, waiting for supply problems to force us to formula. Need lots of
    Doing one parent/one language with our bilingual bebitas.

Default Re: Mami, this is an agonizing way to get my lechita

Are you trying to give the bottles yourself? Often babies are very reluctant to take a bottle from mom, because they don't understand why mom won't give them the real thing.

Have you tried lots of different bottles and nipples?

Also, have you tasted the expressed milk? Some moms find that their stored milk develops a rancid or soapy taste due to excess lipase. Scalding the milk prevents the problem.

Finally, 2-2.5 oz/1.5 hour period is actually just fine. Most babies require only 1.5-2 oz of milk per hour of separation from mom.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Usually it's a babysitter or my husband who's tried to give the bottle - yesterday she actually took it better from me than from him, but it was an hour later and I think she was just hungrier.
    We've tried the Playtex drop-ins and Gerber Nuk.
    I haven't tasted the milk. How do you scald it?
    I guess my concern is that it just takes so long to get it in her, not how much she's getting in the time period. The sitter she's going to has 3 babies and isn't going to be able to keep putting the bottle in and out for an hour. :/
    Had Bradley wanderbaby #1 on 5/9/09, bf 10 months before let-down problems drove us both crazy and we had to stop. Wanderbaby #2 born 6/9/12 (in a wheelchair - we made it to the hospital with 4 minutes to spare!).
    Currently due 5/13 and at work, waiting for supply problems to force us to formula. Need lots of
    Doing one parent/one language with our bilingual bebitas.

Taste it and make sure you don't have that complication before worrying about how to scald it.

You can't be trying to give bottles or even be in the house. Really. None but my last would ever take one if they knew I was around. And she will work it out.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!