Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby sleeping through the night. Can I too?

Default Baby sleeping through the night. Can I too?

My baby is nearing 4mths and is starting to sleep through the night. My question is, Do I need to pump in the middle of the night? Or wake him? Or is it okay to just let us both sleep? If so then will my milk supply adjust to baby? I wouldn't want my milk supply to decrease, he will not take a bottle.

Default Re: Baby sleeping through the night. Can I too?

Unless you already have problems with low supply, I think it's fine to sleep through the night when baby will let you. If you wake up uncomfortable you can pump or hand express enough to relieve your discomfort. Your supply will adjust to baby's patterns though it might take a few days or even a week. I wouldn't count on the sleeping through the night continuing though. A lot of babies will do that for awhile then start waking again around 5 or 6 months when they start teething or are working on new milestones like crawling. My LO slept through the night, except for one wake-up, for about six weeks beginning around 4 months of age, then started waking 6 or 7 times a night from 5 months-7 months, then slept through again for a month, then back to waking 2 or 3 times a night. Each time, my supply adjusted to whatever nursing pattern DS was doing at that time. Supply is flexible and will adjust up and down to baby's demand. My only point is that just when you get used to one pattern, baby's sleep patterns will probably change again. That's just how it is with a baby! So enjoy the sleeping through the night while it lasts Good luck!

Hey thanks for your answer!

Enjoy the sleep! Your body can learn to make more milk during the day, when it's needed, and less at night, when it's not. But don't be surprised if your baby ramps up his daytime nursing- often dropping nighttime feedings corresponds to an increase in daytime demand.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agreed! What a blessing to have a baby who sleeps at night!
    My 9 week LO has been sleeping 7-8 hours at night for a couple of weeks now and I am totally astonished. It can't last, can it?
    Anyway, for me, I choose to pump before I go to sleep (usually 1-2 hours after she does) for a couple of reasons: (1) I work outside the home and just want to make sure I have plenty of ebm, even though I don't have low supply; and (2) I don't want to get my period back any time soon! Night nursing is known to delay the return of menstruation for a longer time period.
    So I agree, no need to pump, but you might choose to do so based on your personal circumstances.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

your supply is already well established by 4mos, so unless you are waking in pain/uncomfortable (in which case a little hand expressing is best to relieve pressure), ENJOY THAT SLEEP!! (lucky)
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling